New
Find
Notify
Tools

140 TSX data for .270WSM
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
has anyone worked with the 140TSX and Magpro in the 270WSM? Looking to start doing so and can't find much data. Thank you in advance.

Posts: 187 | Location: SE Nebraska, USA. | Registered: 21 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of raybass
posted Hide Post
Got these number's from barnes website for Magpro starting load 64 grains @ 2861 velocity. Max. load 70.5 grains @ 3125 vel.= 96% load density. They have some load data for a limited number of calibers and tsx bullets. Big Grin

Straight shootin to ya

Posts: 531 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 11 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Planemech ----- I have not used Magpro, I have used RL-22 extensively with the 140 grain TSX. My load is Fed-210M primer, 64 grains of RL-22. The load Chronys between 3275 and 3315 fps with my rifle, a Model 70 Winchester Super Shadow. wave Good luck and good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never been able to get Magpro to work for me, and I've tried it in numerous configurations. It's adverstised as an accurate powder, but in my experience, it has consitantly produced the largest groups of any power I have ever used. I have unused Magpro that will probably end up fertilizing the lawn.

warthog1134.com

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Planemech,check out www.realguns.com

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Planemech I have had very good sucess with H4831 and RL22 in the 270 WSM.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Snowman, I hope my post isn't too far out of date, but I would be very interested in a starting load for H4831.

I have been searching for load data for H4350 and H4831, the closest I have received is for H4831SC (starting load 54.5, thanks to the gentleman at Barnes), but it is my understanding that H4831 and H4831SC are two very different powders--that they behave differently.

The 140gr TSX is the bullet I want to use.

Posts: 31 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 25 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
raybass''s data jives with my good friends data, 70.0 grains max with that 140tsx winchester brass, of course 250 cci primer or 215 federal mag primer,jump that barnes tsx 50 thousands off your lands.....regards

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ABrightling:

I have been searching for load data for H4350 and H4831, the closest I have received is for H4831SC (starting load 54.5, thanks to the gentleman at Barnes), but it is my understanding that H4831 and H4831SC are two very different powders--that they behave differently.

The 140gr TSX is the bullet I want to use.

ABrightling, 4831 are not very different at all, the SC is simply the Short Cut version of 4831, and it is the same otherwise. Go to Hogdons website and check their data. With the TSX I treat it the same as other bullets and use the starting load and work up. For TSX'a Barnes typically says you can use a bit more of a charge since the rings on the TSX reduce pressure. I have found my best TSX loads are in fact near or at max loads. I NEVER exceed the max charge listed in the various manuals I use, and defer to the charge listed by the powder manufacturer first, and then the bullet makers data if they list it.

I have several 270 WSM's, and shoot a lot of accubonds and TSX's in them, and H 4831 sc and VV N-550 are my favorite powders for them. 61.5 grains to 62.0 grains (of 4831 SC) proves to be a sweet spot for me with the TSX.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogerK:
I have never been able to get Magpro to work for me, and I've tried it in numerous configurations. It's adverstised as an accurate powder, but in my experience, it has consitantly produced the largest groups of any power I have ever used. I have unused Magpro that will probably end up fertilizing the lawn.

I have found just the opposite !! My 140 Accubond/Magpro load shoots less than .25 MOA at 100 yards and .5 MOA at 200 yards. I am more than happy with it, as well as the 3150 fps velocity.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I never could get the magpro to shoot good with any bullet in my browning 270wsm.Never tried the 140 tsx but with IMR 4831 (66grs.)and 130 tsx it shot one holers at 100 and 300 yds,and with 140 sieBTHPand sie135 BTHP (62 grs)shot one holers also.Below is a chart from barnes they may have updated it by now.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote