Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

11.2x60 Schuler???
 Login/Join

posted
I saw a very nice rifle in this chambering at a large show. I don't have any rifles that I can't shoot so here are some quesitons:

Is brass available (Huntington did not have any)?

Would dies be a custom fabrication only project?

I seem to recall Blaser having a rebated rim cartridge; what is the possibillity of altering this brass to 11.2x60?

Any information is appreciated.

Posts: 12 | Location: West Tenn. | Registered: 17 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
drm

i don't know about the possibility of working with the rebated rim cartridge. i did do some homework and found you could rework 375 brass, but it requires a lot of work.

personaly i would check with rws cartridge company, or buffalo arms. possibly kynoch has it also.

do you know that with a 370 gr bullet velocity is only 1500fps?

i would just about bet that just as sure as god made little green apples if you do find brass you better bend over and grab your ankles. it is going to be speeeeeeeeendy.not trying to discourage you but be prepared.

is this on a mauser sporter action? i mean civilian. that cartridge was developed in the 20's from what i've been told.

good luck and let me know how you come out with it.

PLEASE EXCUSE CAPS, HANDICAPPED TYPIST.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

HANDLOADS ARE LIKE UNDERWEAR....BE CAREFUL WHO YOU SWAP WITH.

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
According to COTW, this cartridge "is nothing more than a rimless version of the popular German 11mm Model 71 Mauser military round. The case has a rebated rim to fit the standard M98 Mauser bolt face. It is obsolete and late German ammunition and gun catalogs do not list it."

Sounds to me like new brass would be totally unavailable anywhere. I suppose you could make cases from 11mm Mauser brass by turning off the rims and reducing the head diameter to fit the M98 Mauser bolt face, then recut an extractor groove.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth the effort. Except perhaps as a challenging and interesting project. You'd probably have to get a bullet mould in order to have bullets for it.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
According to COTW, this cartridge "is nothing more than a rimless version of the popular German 11mm Model 71 Mauser military round. The case has a rebated rim to fit the standard M98 Mauser bolt face. It is obsolete and late German ammunition and gun catalogs do not list it."

Sounds to me like new brass would be totally unavailable anywhere. I suppose you could make cases from 11mm Mauser brass by turning off the rims and reducing the head diameter to fit the M98 Mauser bolt face, then recut an extractor groove.

Personally, I don't think it would be worth the effort. Except perhaps as a challenging and interesting project. You'd probably have to get a bullet mould in order to have bullets for it.

hey el

that was my feelings also. in the handloaders manual of cartridge conversions mr. donnelly mentions that brass can be made from 375 h&h by trimming off the belt and some more machine work to tha rim. sounds like a lot of work to me for a round that produces such trivial ballistics.

as much as i love mausers i would have to walk away from that one.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

IT'S OK......I'VE STARTED UP MY MEDS AGAIN. THEY SHOULD TAKE EFFECT IN ABOUT A WEEK. (STACI-2006)

HAPPY TRAILS

BILL

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,
Thank you for your replies. I am afraid I will take the walk away option. This is a shame as the rifle was exceptionally nice. Christoph Funk, case colored action and bolt, rib integral with barrel, finely checkered steel but with trap, engraved, aperture rear (Lyman with flip up smaller aperture), etc. I have in mind what my next two rifles will be and a good Mauser example is one of the two.

Maybe I should have gone ahead as COTW shows a 332gr bullet at 2130fps. (It should work well for whitetails in the woods here in TN; whitetails don't take a lot of killing) COTW stated that the bullet diameter is .440-inch; bullets of this diameter are available from Huntington's I believe. I was even willing to have custom dies fabricated. The brass is the kicker.

It was such a fine piece of craftmanship; if it had been a reasonable caliber it would have probably been snapped up before I saw it.

I looked this up on the Blaser page:
http://www.blaser.de/english/produkte/accessories/45blaser.htm

Possibilities??

Thanks again.

Posts: 12 | Location: West Tenn. | Registered: 17 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
drm

if you are that impressed with the action and the custom work, which it's sounds as though you are, you could buy it and re-barrel it. that is if the price is not too high.

just a thought.

"THE" THREAD KILLER

HAPPY TRAILS

BILL

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure if this a close comparisan, but:
http://stevespages.com/jpg/cd112x72schuler.jpg

Posts: 3785 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote