New
Find
Notify
Tools

video's
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I used to do a bunch of reloading years ago, and am now gearing up to start again. Way back when, I kept it pretty basic, but upon much reading here and on other forums I've noticed even the basic reloaders are going much more technical and detail oriented. I would really like to learn much more concerning detail re sizing and bullet depth adjustments.Back then we never fire formed new cases as step one! All the debates going on about head space measuring, datum locations, and cartridge and bullet oal's in relation to rifling distance can become overwhelming and confusing. Are there good detailed video's out there that will actually show these practices for those of us that are just trying to get all this learning straight. Trying to follow instructions by just reading from here can leave one a bit confused.I'll be reloading primarily for rifle by the way.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Wes,
I started like you and made some good loads. As I progressed I started playing with all kinds of things to find that "perfect load" like so many do. I have returned to the basics with no loss of accuracy. I use the OAL published with the load data and usually find the load that is the most acurate between 95% and 98% of the maximum listed charge. Granted I am not a benchrest shooter or a compitition shooter (except against myself) and I get sub MOA accuracy from all my rifles except the SKS (which I have given up as a lost cause). My rifles vary from a super long throated 03A3 that even with a 220 grain RN I cannot seat to the lands and a Remington 700 that has been converted to a 358 Win. with a tighter throat but they are all capable of very good accuracy with a bit of tuning with the powder at the published length. My 358 shoots to about 1/3 MOA and my other guns shoot to just over 1/2 MOA.

What you do and how you do it is up to you but I gave up on trying to get "one hole" groups in favor of the relaxing past-time of reloading to shoot small groups without making the reloading process a job.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reply, there are so many "toys" out there now for the reloader, that it gets confusing to me as to which one will serve me the best, especially when I read these forums carefully and try to decipher who has figured out the best method. I guess it's like those who believe their interpretation of ,oh, say,the bible,(gospel or reloaders,lol)is the best, or, ONE and only correct interpretation, and all others are wrong. I've read some rather testy debates, and though comical and interesting, they can get real confusing to the less experienced.

Posts: 133 | Location: Thermopolis, WY | Registered: 29 October 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Buy a new manual set down and read the steps to reload a cartrage and I really don't think you can do much better than that. Try not to get to involved with all the BS, 1/3 and 1/2 groups will come.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am attempting to help educate a younger man to reload for several rifles. He loaded w/ his Dad years b/4 he realized his father had any brains. Now he gets 'info and reccommeations' from videos and reviews on the web, WITHOUT even knowing the source or veracity of the info. Remember, If it is on the web, it has to be true. He even asks me questions that I answer from ' the same manual' he has b/c he does not want to take the time to read.
Modern, lazy and potentially dangerous.
Get several manuals, read them. Then study them. Be consistent in your loading technique and you will load decent ammo. If you want more info, then go to reputable sites such as this one and 6mmbr. Com. AND always verify info from several known, trusted sources NOT some jake legged jackass W/ no real knowledge OR liability who claims to be an Internet 'expert'.

Posts: 1991 | Location: Sinton, TX | Registered: 16 June 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Admittedly, it's sites such as this that lead to the confusion. Doing research on proper head spacing,resizing doe's and don't's for each particular chamber,etc. It also seems that one
experts godsend tool (bullet comparitors,OAL gages,etc) are another experts junk!
My loads will be for hunting, but I'm an anal kinda guy(zero pun intended), and I'd like taking the time to tweak my reloads for absolute best effect. What I don't have are piles of money for every tool out there. I realize this is stuff I'll graduate into but when you have half a dozen professors trying to teach the same subject and each one has a differing method, ones head begins to swivel and then spin, and I get dizzy. That make any sense? I have a new to me Mauser in 30-06 that had all sorts of problems that I believe are all ironed out, including a re finish chamber job with a pull type reamer. I have yet to fire it yet and I'm starting with once fired brass given to me. These empty cases will not even chamber because they get stuck a full 3/8 out. I know a full resizing is needed but damn, can someone else's 06 chamber be "that" much different? and why?

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
quote:
it's sites such as this that lead to the confusion

There is no confusion buy a manual .
you will read and understand that there are many different chamber sizes in the same caliber.
Steps are fairly simple.
start with clean brass, clean the primer pockets as well.
!. full length size the 06 brass.( it will fit your chamber)
2. trim to length (all to the same length)chanfer the mouth of the case
3. choose a primer. seat a primer.
4. choose a powder. use a starting load for the and work up.
5. Choose a bullet. weight and type of bullet then seat bullet to an over all length (measure from the base to the point of the bullet)
Leave toys out of the picture until you can load and shoot. Some toys are for convenience and others are for looks. some are practical? maybe, Just get the basics first.

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote