New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading for 38 sp
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I need help/advice to start loading for the 38 sp. I have been loading for rifle and shotgun for several years, but never for pistol.

I want to load mild waddcutters/semiwaddcutters for practice. It looks like most people use some type of lead bullet, rather than jacketed. I have noticed that there are many variations of bullets, soft (swaged), hard cast, hollow based, etc. Recommendations for brand and type?

Is there any major difference in dies?

What about powder measurement? Can the typical small volume (3-4 grains) be metered by volume safely? I have the RCBS powder measure, but always weigh the charges for rifle.

What about crimping, taper/roll? These will be shot out of an S&W J frame.

Seating depth?

Are there any powders that stand above the rest, or are they similar assuming that load data is followed? I have a supply of Red Dot and Clays, but will consider others if there is an advantage.

I currently have the Nosler and Speer loading manuals.

All advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Posts: 291 | Location: Gettysburg, PA | Registered: 03 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If you are loading on a single stage, RCBS, Redding, even Lee work fine. A lead or plated bullets is prefered for low vel. loads as some jackets will strip in the bbl. at low vel. (under 700fps or so). You can load 148gr wadcutter (WC) or 158gr semiwadcutter SWC) over either of those powders for target vel. loads. If you keep vel. under 800fps, swaged lead are fine, Hornady seems to have the best lube/coating, above that I would go plated or hardcast. If you have the RCBS Uniflow, it should be fine for charges in the 3-4gr range. OAL, I load to the crimp groove on lead bullets & roll crimp there.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Love the 38 shot over 300 rounds a week ago.
I use about everything.
I like the old 158gr round nose soft cast best.
A load of herco or bullseye
no crimp necessary, make sure when you bell the mouth of the case that its not to much or they will not chamber.
Go with the recommended seat depth for the type of bullet you select.
I tried some speer half jacket bullets and had a problem with the jackets getting shucked of and had one stay in the barrel.
I like xtp by hornady best.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the standard old bullseye load for 38 is 2.7 gr of bullseye and a 148 gr hollowbased wadcutter. your rcbs will measure it just fine with the small chamber in it. I don't see any need to crimp, and the length is going to be set by the cylinder. i.e. if its to long its going to stick out of the cylinder. in a j frame i'd stay pretty well away from plus p loads as they might be a bit hot. and like hivelosity I had a half jacket stick in the barrel once. The lead hit the target so I didn't notice the jacket stuck and the next one blew up my prize K38. i really don't like half jackets anymore

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of SC_Gunner
posted Hide Post
quote:

What about powder measurement? Can the typical small volume (3-4 grains) be metered by volume safely?

I use the Lee Pro Auto Disk measure for volume loading. It is dead-on accurate, and saves a lot of time and frustration. I also use the Lee 4 Die set, which comes with the powder through expansion die for use with the PAD measure, and also the Lee factory crimp die, all for about $25 from Midway. If you decide on the Lee measure, be sure to get the micro-disk and the adjustable charge bar for smaller loads of Bullseye or Unique. ~ Marc

Posts: 46 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 29 January 2007Reply With Quote