New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: BYO electronic bore cleaner
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
"I wound up using 0000 steel wool on a brush driven by a variable speed drill and eventually got the rust out and the bore actually had a little shine to it, but the rifling looked kind of ragged."

Never spin anything in a rifle bore!!!

Posts: 813 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 02 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So, my dad found this somewhere, made one, and liked it, so I'm making one tonight.
Real easy:
3' 1/4" steel rod, 30 AMP battery clips, heat-shrink tubing, a tapered rubber plug that will fit in your bore, a funnel that will do the same, a D-cell battery and some wire.
The whole thing cost me less than $10.
Heat shrink one end of the rod, and crimp while hot (lighter works), then measure to length of your barrel and heat shrink a 3" piece right there. These are the insulators. Tape the wires to the battery, noting positive and negative.
Tap the rubber stopper into the chamber, set upright securely, fill with equal parts white vinegar, ammonia and distilled water, drop in the rod, insulated end down, make sure your crown is insulated from the rod touching it, clip your negative to the end of the rod and the positive to any part of the rifle that's handy. I flattened the clip out, and squeezed it onto the stem of the bolt handle.
Leave for 20 minutes, empty and run a patch or two, repeat till clean.
If your rod gets full of copper and lead, just borrow a buddy's rifle, and switch the polarity. Clean as a whistle.

The only improvement I can see whould be to find the perfect little o-ring that could roll up and down for different length barrels, but still fit just inside the bore of your smallest.
Beats the hell out of scrubbing all day.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm on my third can of Wipe-Out and I still use a brush in my bore. There's just no substitute for a scrubbing. I've experimented with it and found that brushing the bore removes additional fouling that Wipe-Out and patches alone do not get. I do like it a lot, but it's not a miracle cleaner.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Or you could just use WipeOut...

It doesn't get out lead though. But for copper, it's a lot easier to use than any electrical contraption. Works just as well, I'm sure-- as it does a perfect job. Try it once, and you'll never brush a barrel again.

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Or you could just use WipeOut....

Since I turned the bore of one of my Mosin-Nagant rifles into a shiney thing of beauty, using Wipe Out, that's all I'm EVER going to use for the tough jobs. Previously, the bore was as black as tar -- that's how I got it, and that's how it was after cleaning it with solvent and brushes. You just wouldn't believe how good the bore looks now.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post

The $10 bucks for an electronic bore cleaner is a great deal, it�s just the $450 barrels you hafta buy each time you clean them that�s the problem. You should clean them with dynamite - the end result is the same, but it�s a lot more fun to watch.

Electrolysis is a great way to pit a bore. It is amazing how quickly you can do it with just a little ole battery. I would strongly recommend that you not do this.

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

The $10 bucks for an electronic bore cleaner is a great deal, it�s just the $450 barrels you hafta buy each time you clean them that�s the problem. You should clean them with dynamite - the end result is the same, but it�s a lot more fun to watch.

Electrolysis is a great way to pit a bore. It is amazing how quickly you can do it with just a little ole battery. I would strongly recommend that you not do this.

I have used my FoulOut extensively for nearly four years. No copper and no brushing the rifling away.

Be very interested how you managed to ruin your barrels. Seems impossible to me considering the Ph of solution and tiny current invgolved.

Did you hook it up to truck battery by mistake?

Posts: 472 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 08 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make no mistake serious damage can be done if you select the wrong voltage. Too low a voltage and you will not cause the copper to go into solution to plate onto the rod, so no damage there. Too much and you will dissolve the copper and the iron behind it. As I understand it, the voltage determines what metal is electrolysed, and the Ph of the solution determines how fast it will happen, ie a low Ph solution will draw a lot of current and the reaction will happen quickly. Strictly speaking if you select a voltage just above the correct voltage at the end of the reaction nothing further should happen. I did Physics in 1973 so my memory is a bit foggy.

I've used this device plenty times using household ammonia and 3V (2X1.5V in series) and it works like a charm. My cathode is stainless steel, so the black copper (II) oxide deposit strips off with a wet wipe. Most of it comes off as a black scum in the foam.

I monitor it very carefully, when the solution stops foaming (hydrogen is given off in the process) I break the circuit. A good clean and I am good to go. I have tested a cleaned barrel with Barnes CR-10 and the patches come out clean with no blue copper staining.

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote