New
Find
Notify
Tools

6x45
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have try this calibre? (based on necking up the 223 Remington)is accurate?
Impression for accurate shooting with bullet weight 90 to 115 grs.
Muzzle velocity with this bullets?

Posts: 75 | Location: Italy | Registered: 24 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
I've used it extensively in both rifle and single shot pistol format, but I must add that it has minimal application with the bullet weights you listed. It is a best with bullets up to 80 or possibly 85 grains , and a 1:10 twist is best.

From a 14-15" barrel, 80 grain bullets will do 2700-2750 fps. You'll gain another 100-125 fps with a 22" barrel. Due to the extreme efficiency of this cartridge, you don't gain much in a rifle barrel vs. a pistol barrel.

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Sorry...I forgot to address your accuracy question: The 6mm-.223 (6x45) is one of the most accurate cartridges I have ever worked with. Even in hunting guns with moderate magnification optics and "standard" (not match) bullets, 5-shot, 200 yards groups of less than an inch are easily possible.

Posts: 9406 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two. In anything but a full blown benchrest gun, they are as accurate as any cartridge in the world. They are not at all suited to heavy bullets, are optimal at 60-85. In fact, the standard chambering won't really even handle them unless it is custom throated. If you want a low volume 6mm for heavy bullets, the hands down winner is the 6mm Bench Rest Norma version. It was SAAMI'd with a throat for 105-107 VLD bullets for long range shooting.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
But i want use for target shooting and i think that with 90 to 115 match bullet this calibre work very accurate....i THINK.
Sierra make also 70grs match bullets but BC is very little only .259 while if i use 107grs BC is .527!!!

with berger bullets for 95 grs BC is .524!! and .597 with 115grs bullets!!!

But which are velocity with this bullets?

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Bobby Tomek here is an interesting link about the 6X45. Keep going down the page and you will find some interesting information. http://www.sportingrifles.com/calibres_for_the_bushveld.htm

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tommy-
That is interesting, but you'd need a twist quicker than 1:10 to ensure stability at that low velocity. Then, too, low-velocity performance of the 100 grainers -- including the Partition -- can be a bit iffy.

The article mentions 0-200 yard shooting. Given the 2300 fps it cites, that 100 grain Nosler is down to 1890 fps at 200 yards. Nolser states that it requires a minimum of 2000 fps at impact to ensure proper performance. My own shooting bears that out, so unless heavier bone is impacted, you may get little or no expansion from that bullet.

I have tried just about everything in the little 6mms, and by far, the most effective bullet on smaller deer-sized game has been the Sierra 80 grain Single Shot Pistol bullet. In my experience, it offers the best blend of expansion, penetration and incapacitation. The terminal performance is simply outstanding.

But since it has been pointed out that traget shooting is the main interest of the original poster, a quick-twist barrel and match bullets may prove to be exactly what he is hoping for.

one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Trautman-
You may be able to get around 2200 fps with the 115 grain bullet and 2350-2400 fps with the 95 grain projectile, assuming a barrel length of 22-24 inches.

one of us
Picture of tommyn
posted Hide Post
Bobby I found it interesting that it said that the 6X45 was a factory round there. I'm going by your experience and staying with 70 to 80 gr bullets and its going to be in the 70's here Sat and off to the range for some shooting of the 6.

one of us
posted Hide Post
What type of target shooting are you considering for this rifle? If you are interested in 100-115 gr bullets, I suspect it must be long range (1000 yd?). A cartridge with more case capacity would be adviseable for this type of work. The 6x284 seems to be the 6mm chice for this right now. Normal benchrest 6mm bullets are not that heavy, in fact most BR guns have 1-12 twist, which is only good up through 85 gr. There is an almost unlimited selection of target quality bullets available in the 70-85 gr region.

Posts: 1238 | Location: Lexington, Kentucky, USA | Registered: 04 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Tommy-
I certainly hope the weather holds up for you. We may finally get some sunshine today. IT's been fog-drizzle-rain here for far too long.

I'm hoping my 21" 6mm TCU barrel will arrive today, and if so, I have a little time Saturday when I may get to do a bit of shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
ok, but Sierra make 70grs match bullets but BC is very little only .259
i wanted this calibre for benefit of high profile of 6mm bullet. if i must shoot only 70or 80grs bullets i prefer use 223 Rem with 80grs match bullets with .420 BC or no?