New
Find
Notify
Tools

9,3mm Magnum?
 Login/Join

<bendtsen>
posted
Has anyone in here ever heard of a 9,3mm on a belted magnum case? Just got to think that with all the 9,3mm`s, here in Scandinavia it might be a viable option to get some more punch! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Bendtsen

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hej bendtsen!

A guy in Nordmaling south of Ume� have develloped a couple of 9,3 magnums. His name is Ingemar H�rnquist.

The first 9,3 magnum was based on a .358 Norma Mag. case and is called .366 IH Magnum.

He also have a even bigger design called .366 IH Express. This huge round is based on a .338 Lapua case.

I don�t have any reliable data on the rounds but a good friend that also have a .366 IH Mag. can post some if you are interested. He is also on the Accurate reloading forum. His username is Christer.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendtsen:
Has anyone in here ever heard of a 9,3mm on a belted magnum case? Just got to think that with all the 9,3mm`s, here in Scandinavia it might be a viable option to get some more punch! Any thoughts would be appreciated.

1. It is a ridiculous thought that the silly "Magnum" belt would have anthing to do with performance. :-)

2. The 9,5 x 66 offers some more punch for those who feel not entirely satisfied with the common 9,3 mm cartridges.

3. The newly revived 9,3 x 70 bears the Magnum moniker. More about this fine German cartridge can be found on Harald Wolf's website:

http://www.hataritimes.com

Regards,
Carcano

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Carcano is right!! Big cases (.416 Rigby, et al) without belts make better magnums than tgose with belts. The only excuse for the belt is for use in doubles or comb. guns that won't extract reliably with rimless cases. Better for these guns even is the rimmed case!! Belts are useless appendages!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Belt or no belt what counts is case capacity. As the 9.3x64 case is approx a H&H belted case with the belt removed, internal capacity is about equal. Of course, with no belt it�s smoother feeding. So You gain absolutely nothing in speed or power from x64 to 9.3 H&H belted magnum. You would have to go to a bigger case:

x68

.416 Rigby ( + belt: big Wby mag case )

Of couse, availability of brass is something different - where You live it should be more practical to use 9.3x64.

Just my 2 cents ..

Good Shooting! H

------------------

Posts: 828 | Location: Europe | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Norman Tonn wildcatted a 9.3 on the .338 Win Mag brass. In the US, 338 brass is very common, so it makes a good cartridge for American hunters. In areas where 338 Winchester is not as available it would make less sense.

<bendtsen>
posted
Thank You all for some good inputs.
A 9.3mm on a 338wm makes sense since I shoot a 338wm already! pretty much the same as 358NM. My first thought was for it to fit in a std.length Mauser, since there are a lot of those around here with 9.3mm barrels on them.
Given some more thought the 338RUM case could be the way to go! (availability is not an issue since I bye my cases in the US).

Stefan, yes I would very much like to see some stats on the 2 "lokal" magnums!!

bendtsen

<David J. Moses>
posted
Although I am no friend of the belt on bottleneck cases, a consideration would be availability and cost of the mother case. And since belted brass is quite a bit cheaper still than .404 brass (for now), a belted 9,3 might be interesting, especially since 9,3x64 brass is sometimes hard to find and dear to pay for. In about 1992, an Austrian mooted a 9,3 on a belted case but I recall no details. Perhaps carcano91 recalls? It was shown, I believe, at the Kepplinger booth at the IWA. Didn't Eugene Enterkin of Cusetta, GA moot a 9.3 Enterkin Magnum based on the .358 NM? I seem to recall him telling me about it but that was back in 1988.

one of us
posted Hide Post
bendtsen.

I�ll talk to the guy with the data of the .366 cartridges tonigth at a local benchrest match. I hope I have time to post the results here tonigth or tomorrow, we are leaving for the Scandinavian benchrest championships tomorrow and things are buisy

I remeber that they got some really impressive v/o,s out of the .366 IH Magnum case.

I�m not a fan of belted cases, far from. But the fact that they are easy to get to a resonable price here in Sweden is a importand factor.

Stefan.

Posts: 635 | Location: Umea/Sweden | Registered: 28 October 2000Reply With Quote
<Doc Garnett>
posted
The 9.3 x 64 is a magnum in all but name.
Regards --
-- Doc