Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can you make 222 brass from 223?
 Login/Join

posted
Can you make 222 brass from 223? Run it through bullet seater die, then sizer die? Would it work? Thanks.

Posts: 22 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 05 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't see why not, but why? I made some 300x221 out of 222 brass and it worked and shot better than the 221. Go figure.
BT, don't forget all the trimming.
Jeff

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't forget to check neck wall thickness as well.

Posts: 655 | Location: Kansas US of A | Registered: 03 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is just a matter of running it through your 222 FL die although l must admit that l in turn used a K&M neck turner to true up the necks. The comment regarding neck wall thickness should be taken seriously.

The reason l formed them from 223 is that it allowed me a longer length neck to work with as l checked chamber length and it was quite generous.

Good luck and congratulations on shooting a fine caliber.

Posts: 104 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 12 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ok neck wall thickness is about the same. Im gonna go try a couple out. Thanks guys.

<eldeguello>
posted
Why coitainly!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I learned two things from making 222's from 223's as well as making 308's from 30-06's..It can be done ..but it aint worth the trouble.

Posts: 588 | Location: Sherwood Park,Alberta,Canada | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ya, i ran a 223 through the die and it just sorta crunched the shoulder. Is there any other way of doing it?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Start with the 222 die backed out, so that you get most of the effort at the bottom of the press stroke.

Once you have started sizing a bit at a time, turn the 222 die in one turn at a time, and size, gradually "bumping" the case shoulder back each stroke. At the end you will wind up with a 222 case with a long neck and the bottom half of the neck will be thick. I don't use the neck expander in this set-up.

This works, but the end result is nowhere near as satisfactory as using the correct brass.

Cheers

Pete

Posts: 541 | Location: Mokopane, Limpopo Province, South Africa | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You sure can and it's easy. A looong time back I bought a set of RCBS form and trim dies made for the job. I have no idea if they are still made. I ended up having both a 222 and a 223 so I tossed all the reformed brass to prevent a mix up and bought 500 222's. I still do have a stash of 223 (no longer have the 223) for reforming but never have gotten back into.

Posts: 25 | Location: NW | Registered: 12 November 2002Reply With Quote