New
Find
Notify
Tools

what equipment?
 Login/Join

<cyberhick>
posted
Hi. I've been reloading for my handgun for a while and its been great. I would like to got o my brother and dad's rifles and stawrt relaoding for them, a .270 Win and .22 Hornet. What new equipment, other than dies and a press, will i need to do that? I know how technical it can all be, but i just want some basics and to have fun. Thanks.

cyberhick

<Martindog>
posted
Must Haves -- A couple of reloading manuals -- very important. Cleaning solvent to clean new dies before usage (your gun cleaning solvent will work for this). Case lube (used on case bodies and neck interiors when resizing). A proper shellholder for your cartrdige cases (not all die sets include shellholders). A primer seating tool -- some presses come equipped with one, but many prefer a hand held tool since those types provide better feel. Dial calipers for measuring case length and cartridge OAL. A tool to trim cases to their proper "trim-to-length" dimension (you'll find that info in reloading manuals). A case mouth deburring tool. A powder scale and powder trickler (you'll find charges for each powder listed in relaoding manuals). Case neck brush to clean residue from fired cases.

Not Absolutely Necessary but Very Useful -- a powder measure of some type (if you are on a really tight budget, Lee makes a set of powder dippers that when combined with a scale and trickler will work. Not good though if you're into relaoding any volume of cases -- pretty slow). Primer pocket cleaning tool. Flash hole deburrer.

I may have forgotten something. Others will chime in and complete the list.

Welcome and have fun.

Martindog

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cyberhick:
Hi. I've been reloading for my handgun for a while. I would like start relaoding for a .270 Win and .22 Hornet. What new equipment, other than dies and a press, will i need?
cyberhick

Not knowing what you have for your handgun reloading, I can't be sure what new stuff you will need.

About the only new operation for rifles that comes to mind is case trimming & deburring and some people even do that for pistols, depending on caliber and loads. OK, lubeing cases for resizeing is also new, assumeing you have used carbide dies for pistol.

One word of caution, My experence with the lee perfect powder measure is it was NOT acceptable for H110 which is a favorite powder for the .22 hornet.

JerryO

Posts: 231 | Location: MN. USA | Registered: 09 June 2000Reply With Quote
<George Capriola>
posted
Cyber,
I'd recommend you spend a few extra dollars and get RCBS Competition die sets for the rifle bullets. They're especially helpful with the Hornet loads, seating the bullets straight.
By the way, Hodgdon's Lil'Gun is the best powder for .22 Hornets out there. (I know, it's made for .410 shotgun shells).
As for case lube, use Imperial Sizing Die Wax, and Imperial Dry Neck Lube. Easy cleanup, no dented shoulders.
Everyone else said the rest of it.
Regards, George.