Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet seating trouble
 Login/Join

posted
My once fired, full-lenth resized, polished brass .270 WIN cases are sheering the jacketing off the 90gr Sierra hollow points that I am trying to load.

What have I done wrong?
Something in the decapping/resizing?

Posts: 7 | Location: Iowa Heartland | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Bullets that a too big or the sizeing button on the stem is too small to open up the neck to corect dia. Inside of sized neck should only be about 0.002" smaller than dia. of bullet.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are several things that you might check.

1. The cases should be chamfered with a deburring tool.

2. The expander ball should only be .001 to .0015 smaller than your bullet diameter.
In your case .276 -.2755.

3. Your bullet is kind of short and stubby.
Slow spin the case buy pulling a finger around it as you advance the case and bullet into the seater. This may help avoid the bullet tilting to one side.

4. You can use a very low drag chamfering tool to give the cases a long inside chamber.

5. You can use a tapered expander such as made by Lee or a common enter punch to expand the case mouth slightly. (a spitzer military 30 caliber bullet will expand your cases also)

6. An M die made by Lyman will expand the case mouth enough to start the bullets.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thank you fat_albert I will mic' the expander and go from there.

Posts: 7 | Location: Iowa Heartland | Registered: 17 February 2012Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Expander looks good.
Spinning the case caused no difference.

Sounds like I'll need a deburring tool. Any recomendations?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
if you are gonna do them by hand, the rcbs is a good one.

Posts: 4989 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
You can use this one by hand or chuck it up in a drill. Does it all. Lyman power chamfering and deburring set

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
is it nickel brass?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Chamfering the insides of your case mouths with a L.E. Wilson or RCBS-type deburring tool will usually alleviate this problem, but if not then go to the VLD-type mouth chamferer available from Lyman. I removed mine from the wooden handle and chuck it in a drill press for quicker, more efficient chamfering.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
I had this happen all the time with Sierra bullets in my 358 Win but no problem with accuracy. I never faced this other bullets.

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11023 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RaySendero
posted Hide Post
G-L,

How about micing the bullets?

________
Ray

Posts: 1786 | Registered: 10 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I've loaded the same bullets in both new & fired cases without problems, though I do chamfer case mouths even on new brass.

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Golden-Lariat:
Expander looks good.
Spinning the case caused no difference.

Sounds like I'll need a deburring tool. Any recomendations?

The RCBS Case Prep Station, coupled with the VLD inside reamer should solve your problem. Waidmannsheil, Dom.

-------- There are those who only reload so they can shoot, and then there are those who only shoot so they can reload. I belong to the first group. Dom ---------

Posts: 728 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Also try to check up on the neck thickness. The ideal is 12.5 thousands of an inch thickness. Try reading up on neckturning. Another alternative is to try a different brand of dies/expander ball if you have access to it. I keep 3 brands of dies per calibre. Should one give me a problem, I use one of the other two.