Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Brass Problems
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted
I just purchased some Nosler 30-06 brass from Midway. Funny thing is it won't fit in my new shell holder (Redding #1) and some of them won't go into my old one (Lyman #2). Has anyone had this problem with Nosler brass. I have E-mailed Nosler but haven't got a response yet.

Rob

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Look at the headstamp on the Nosler brass. God knows who made the stuff. I bought a box of the Nosler Custom ammo in 35 Whelen. Retail is $48.00 box. Cases were headstamped REMINGTON I'll be loading my Whelen ammo with RWS or Lapua brass necked up to 35. I know I'll have to pay, but not big bucks for sucks components. Stoney

Posts: 336 | Location: Central PA | Registered: 01 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Rob1SG
posted Hide Post
Stoney, The headstamp says Nosler. I paid $38 a box thinking I would get great brass ready to load. Now I'm not sure I want to load it at all.

Posts: 1111 | Location: Edmond,OK | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not used Nosler brass, so I can't really comment much on that product line. But I will say, that I have experienced problems with .30-06 head size brass not fitting various shell holders. Mostly it has been RWS brass, which for one reason or another comes with larger dimensions - be it diameter or thickness of the "rim". If your problem is one of too large a diameter, try a shell holder for the 6.5x55, that worked a champ for me and my RWS brass.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
If your problem is one of too large a diameter, try a shell holder for the 6.5x55, that worked a champ for me and my RWS brass.
- mike

A more expensive but better solution would be to upgrade to a CO-AX press. Then you don't have to worry about shell holders.
If I opened a $48 box of brass and it was headstamed Remington I'd be pissed off. Nothing like changing the box and doubling the price!...............DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
Look at the headstamp on the Nosler brass. God knows who made the stuff. I bought a box of the Nosler Custom ammo in 35 Whelen. Retail is $48.00 box. Cases were headstamped REMINGTON I'll be loading my Whelen ammo with RWS or Lapua brass necked up to 35. I know I'll have to pay, but not big bucks for sucks components.

Nosler makes a very limited varity of brass of their own. The brass they sell as "Nosler custom brass" is theirs, the stuff used in their "Custom Ammo" is theirs only if they market that case in their brass line otherwise it comes from various sources.
You are not always going to get Nosler brass in loaded ammo from them unless they also sell the same brass with their headstamp in their "Custom BRASS" line. They are two different products.
Here is a thread on it from their web forum.

http://www.noslerreloading.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=1116

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Ralph Hyrlik
posted Hide Post
I bought some in 22-250. I found it much heavier than R-P and had to reduce the load. It fit in my RCBS shell holder just fine. It was dimentionally perfect, with .002" of air around the neck.

Send yours back. They will make it right.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stoneybroke:
...I bought a box of the Nosler Custom ammo in 35 Whelen. Retail is $48.00 box. Cases were headstamped REMINGTON ...
Hey Stoney, It sounds like someone opened a box of Remington 35Whe at the same time they were looking at the Noslers, (accidentally?) swapped the contents into the Nosler box, then set them back on the shelf. Then you came along and got them.

If you happen back by that Gun Shop, have them hand you another box of the Noslers and see if they really say Nosler.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote