New
Find
Notify
Tools

Loads for 7 Mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am going on a plains game safari in 2004 and am wanting to have some loads worked up asap so they can be perfect when I leave. I have never reloaded before so I am looking for basic equipment needs, starter kits, best components for african plains game, helpful hints, recipes etc.

Thanks

Posts: 176 | Location: Tulsa, OK | Registered: 17 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
1st things 1st, get at least (2) good reloading manuals & read the sections on reloading. The RCBS Rockchucker kit is a good starter. If someone you trust handloads, have him/her babysit you for a session, it will help. It's not rocket science, but there are safety concerns.

As far as loads for African plainsgame, what are you planning on hunting, big or small, near or far? For an all-round use, it would be hard to beat a premium 160-175gr bullet from Nosler, Swift or the Trophy bonded. I like the Nosler partitions for general use as they expand well on smaller animals & hold together well on bigger beasts. I have had good luck w/ RL22 & IMR7828. Use the primers & starting loads from one or both of those good handloading manuals & work up to a load that gives you accuracy.(I like the current
Speer & Nosler books). Borrow or buy a chronograph (to measure the vel.) as the printed vel. in the manuals are only approx. in relation to your rifle. Once you have a load from the bench that gives you at least 1.5" (3 shot)groups you are ready to practice, alot, from different field positions. Have fun, you'll enjoy getting ready as much as the trip.

[ 01-14-2003, 00:18: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Actually, "First Things First", learn to use the search feature...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
You could post over in the "African Big Game Hunting" forum. Don't say it's not a CRF [Smile]

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Check out our 7 Mag website. We have quite a bit of reloading stuff there.

Some safari stuff as well.

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote