New
Find
Notify
Tools

PRVI .22 Hornet brass?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone used PRVI brass in .22 Hornet for reloading, and if so what was your level of satisfaction?

THANKS for your response.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, if no one has used PRVI in .22 Hornet, what about other calibers?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
I have used PRVI brass in a number of calibers and find nothing wrong with it.
Their .223 brass is as good as any as is their 6.5x55
Some of their .270 Ammo was surprisingly accurate and that was in an out of box Stevens Mod. 200 beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info, bartsche. I figured PRVI brass was reasonably serviceable; but I was really hoping to find that their Hornet brass is a bit thicker than some brass, particularly the regular Remington brass. The Rem brass is even thinner than WW. However, nickeled Rem brass is at least the thickness of the nickel heavier than unplated brass, and even that much helps its sturdiness.

PRVI is availalbe from some suppliers for a bit less than other brands right now, so I was fishing for info to see if it was worthwhile to lay in a few hundred prior to prairie dog season.

posted Hide Post
I have used Prvi brass in 7.92x33 Kurz and really like the stuff. I would not hesitate to purchase it in any other caliber.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:
I was fishing for info to see if it was worthwhile to lay in a few hundred prior to prairie dog season.

fishingJust out of curiosity at what distance do you shoot those PDs with your Hornet? beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Hornet when shots are in the 100-200 yard range. More than 200 gets pretty iffy with a Hornet. This is with Hornady V-Max 40 grainers at 2750-2800 fps.

For shots up to 300 yards I use the same bullet in a .221 Fireball at 3350-3400 fps.

Beyond 300 yards I usually move up to a 6mm bore since nothing in a .224" conventional weight bullet is very consistent in the winds and mirage you fight at the over-300 yard ranges.

I guess what I'm saying (though not at all what you asked) is that while a .222/.223 is fine, I really don't find much use for the .22-250's I own since they don't really give you much more effective range than the smaller .22's.

posted Hide Post
I've been slowly converting some to K hornets as of late. The brass seems to be as good if not better than the W-W that I have. Haven't lost a PP case yet.

Posts: 7 | Location: Southern Michigan | Registered: 14 December 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Stonecreek:

I guess what I'm saying (though not at all what you asked) is that while a .222/.223 is fine, I really don't find much use for the .22-250's I own since they don't really give you much more effective range than the smaller .22's.

fishingI think your answer was spot on! If the 22-250 had a 1 in 9 twist and a deep throat there could be a meaningful greater effective range. beer roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a 22 hornet made out of Martini Cadet action a year or so ago. When shopping around for hornet brass and some ammo, noticed I could buy 50 rd boxes of Prvi hornet ammo for not that much more than Winchester or Remington brass. So, bought the Prvi ammo and used its brass for reloading. I'd had decent success with Prvi 6.5 Swede brass and other Prvi cartridges in the past. Occassionally, I'd have some on the hard side that I'd need to anneal, but other than that, no problems with Prvi brass. So, I've no gripes about Prvi Hornet brass.

Guess, you noticed Grafs prices and availability on their Prvi Hornet brass.

Posts: 194 | Location: Huffman, Tx | Registered: 30 November 2008Reply With Quote