New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taper crimping
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm loading my first pistol cartridges and having trouble with the taper crimp. I set my dies (RCBS) so that i get the correct overall length and a fair taper. The bullets seem to be seated firmly. I can't push the bullet into the case by pressing against the edge of the bench.

If I measure the case diameter at the end of the case it's .002 bigger than the rest of the case. Is it normal for the case around the bullet to be slightly larger than the bottom of the case, or do I need more crimp?

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you full length size the case, then expand it, it is still smaller then when a bullet is seated. The bullet will expand the case a little when seated. How the round chambers is what you should be concerned with. Crimping more can make the case larger in the front by crushing the brass.

Posts: 4068 | Location: Bakerton, WV | Registered: 01 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
quote:
If I measure the case diameter at the end of the case it's .002 bigger than the rest of the case. Is it normal for the case around the bullet to be slightly larger than the bottom of the case, or do I need more crimp?

The case should be sized to a smaller diameter then the bullet to insure good case tension on the bullet. The same with necks on a bottleneck case. This is normal and is more or less noticable with various brands of brass with differing thickness.

The crimp actually does very little to hold the bullet in most cartridges that use a taper crimp, 45acp, 9mm, ect. Roll crimps are a different story. The crimp should be just enough to straighten out the "bell" we put in the mouth to aid starting the bullet, or a hair more. Don`t over do them.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
elk

You can find many factory handgun cartridges with a very noticable difference in diameter. This is a good thing. It assures that the bullet will not be pushed back into the case when the cartridge is violently shoved into the chamber.

If you are using a carbide sizing die you may find the difference in diameters more noticeable than with a conventional steel FL die.

Ray

Arizona Mountains

Posts: 1560 | Location: Arizona Mountains | Registered: 11 October 2004Reply With Quote