Find
Notify
Tools

375 H&H 260 gr NP reports
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Gents:

Can anyone offer comments and reports using the 260 gr NP, please? Performance on game and which species? Recoil versus using 300s, etc.

Thanks,

Jeff

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Labman
posted Hide Post
I've never used that particular bullet, but I hunted with a guy in Africa who used in on plains game up to Eland in size with great success. Eevrything was bang, flop. He dropped a very large Eland with one shot.

Tom Z

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2326 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 07 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a Weatherby Mark V that loved them. Only killed deer and piggies with that bullet but they worked like lightning bolts.

Switched to 300 gr TSXs and a M70 SS classic to go to Africa after making a gift of the Weatherby to a good friend who really could not afford a bigger bore rifle.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jeff,

I used 260 gr. .375" NP's (& TBBC's) in Africa on two successive trips and switched to 300 grainers (Hornady R.N.'s).

We (2 hunters) didn't get anywhere near as many exit wounds as we though we should have with the lighter pills on the larger animals. The smaller & mid-sized stuff all had exit wounds.

I'm not a bullet collector but we ended up with a small handful of (perfectly mushroomed) bullets, mostly found in the off-side lung or shoulder.

It's a matter of preference, velocity & barrel length; mine a 20" Winchester Model 70 & the other 24" Sauer 202.

Yeah, we got out trophies and didn't have to jump through too many hoops to do it but the 3rd trip with the 300 grainers in the bushveld are just the ticket IMO, they worked perfectly and we never recovered one either.

Objectionable recoil, Nah, stiffer than the 260's, yes, a tad; but as far as Just Noticable Difference goes - not worth the discussion when hunting.

Have fun making your decision.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
thanks, guys. while we're on it what is the concensus regarding hornady interlock bullets?

Posts: 2267 | Location: Maine | Registered: 03 May 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of scubapro
posted Hide Post
Mine was not accurate with 260grs bullets (about 3 inch for 5 shots) - so Iended with 300grs bullets (Hornady RN) and it shoots 4/5 inch for 5 shots...

the 300grs works great, but I have only "too small game" species here: shot fox, roe deer and boars with it. Nearly no meat damage, but most species run 20-30m before they dropped...
Is OK for me and I love this round!

life is too short for not having the best equipment You could buy...
www.titanium-gunworks.de

Posts: 759 | Location: Germany | Registered: 30 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Noslers are better than Interlocks when the chips are down. The interlocks make great deer bullets.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 260 partitions in my M70 and they are scary accurate with IMR4350. Unfortunately I can't use them here in California since I live in a lead free area so I switched to the Barnes 300 grain TSX. The recoil with the Partitions at 2700fps is noticeably less than with the TSX at 2500 fps.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12695 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote