New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 748 - dirty as ####
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been using w748 in my .223 mod 700.
I have shot some 1/4" groups and smaller. Not all the time mind. It does hold 1/2", until barrell gets dirty.
But, this powder seems to take 40patches to clean after half has many shots. I almost feel like I'm shooting a blackpowder gun.

Is this typical with this powder, or ball powders in general?
I have a pound of xmr-2015 that I'm going to work some loads up with. Have heard good things about this.

Also, are smaller calibers effected ore by fouling?

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
748 is a very dirty powder. The only thing I use it in is my 308 with 125 gr. bullets. For this purpose it is a suberb powder. I use this load for coyotes and lets face it, in Indiana that is not high volume shooting. I had a load that shot good in my 223 using the 69 gr. MatchKing but even with a very slick custom barrel, it would take for ever to get the powder fouling out. I now use N540 with that bullet with much cleaner results and better on paper.

Shoot Safe Shoot Straight.....RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Bughole,
I've never noticed it's any dirter than the "average" powder.... you might talk about your cleaning method with 748 vs, say, 2015?

But, if it where me, I wouldn't use 748 in a 223... vargit or 2015 are the STUFF

jeffe

Posts: 38612 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Really?
748 is known for good groups in .223.
But, I'm wondering about the powder fouling.
Anyhow, I havent tried 2015 yet, but I bought a pound yesterday and will get on it.
I also like 748 for 30-30 loads

Posts: 90 | Location: albany,ny,usa | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
bughole,
You might give the new Hodgdon Benchmark powder a try. Worked fine in my .223. Good luck.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigBob:
bughole,
You might give the new Hodgdon Benchmark powder a try. Worked fine in my .223. Good luck.

Hey bughole, I totally agree with BigBob.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dave Jenkins
posted Hide Post
Moly coating the bore and the Vmaxs cut down on the cleaning time in my NEF .223..it does love the 748 but I too have a lb. of Benchmark waiting for better weather.
Dave

Posts: 569 | Location: VA, USA | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All ball powders are relatively dirty. The residue is left by the retardant coating on the powder which stands to reason when you think aboutit. Regards, Bill.

Posts: 3577 | Location: Elko, B.C. Canada | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about 748, I use 760 in the 22-250 and love it. It takes about as much cleaning as the H380 need but this powder shoots much better for me. I only shoot 60g bullets or otherwise I would try 748. I will agree though that it does take quite a few patches to get the barrel "clean" but like I said it was about the same with H380.

[ 01-14-2003, 01:47: Message edited by: Lucky Shot ]

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try Ramshot powders. They are ball powders and are considerably "cleaner" than "Winchester ####"
Give it a try, I bet that will work better for
you in your 700...

reloader-1

Posts: 270 | Location: Central Pa | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I live in upstate ny. None of the dealers here carry Ramshot. I had looked for one of their pistol powders a year ago

<BDS>
posted
Greetings,

I started off burning W748 in my Savage .233 and found the same results as most... accurate but dirty.

I've since switched to Varget and found no loss of accuracy, a little gain in velocity and it is way cleaner. I live in Manitoba so the Varget was also a better choice for temperature extremes as well... I have no complaints and recommend you giving it a try.

Best Regards,

BDS

one of us
posted Hide Post
I burn a lot of W748 and in some barrels it cleans out in just a few patches and in others, like my .223 Rem., it takes a lot longer. I think the barrel itself has a lot to do with it.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I think the 748 is great in the .223, and there are many .308 loads which this powder does well in.

Perhaps some of us demand cleaner bores than the rest. I run a couple wet patches (Hoppes number 9) through, brush through two or three times with a bronze brush, one more wet patch, then one dry one...

And it goes into the cabinet.

A couple times a year I'll take the copper fouling out with Sweets or JB, but normally a quick cleaning with Hoppes 9 keeps my rifles shooting great.

Remember, the normal condition of a rifle barrel is fouled. If it won't shoot well fouled, it is a "one shot rifle." [Wink]

Dan