New
Find
Notify
Tools

Powder for Lott
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What is your go to powder for the Lott when you are loading it to its potential with 500 gr. bullets?

I have a Lott on the way and though I have several reloading manuals, I would like to see what you guys are using.

Landrum

Posts: 247 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 20 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use H4895.It seems like it's the standard Lott powder.It fills the case and lead jacketed 500grain bullets seat without compaction.It's easy to find,too.I would one day like to try AA2520.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I also like H4895. It gives me fairly consistent 1 to 1.5 inch 3 shot 100 yard groups with several different 500 gr. bullets.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
I have in the past done quite a bit of research with 458 Lott. One of the most consistent powders I have used is RL 15.

Shootaway

While I like AA2520 in many different cases it does not generate upper velocities until pressures get up. I have tried 77/AA2520 500 Woodleigh for 2126 fps and pressures close to 60000 psi.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't tried Rel 15.I would like to try it also.When I shoot H4895,I find I get slightly less pressure when I am shooting molly coated bullets.I can tell by looking at the primers.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of michael458
posted Hide Post
82 grs RL 15 for the Barnes Solids and Swift A frames. For the Hornady and Woodleigh you can go to 83 grs. This will give 2250-2300 fps depending on the bullet. More than enough, and I have used these loads extensively, even in 115 degrees in Zim. No issues at all.

Michael

http://www.b-mriflesandcartridges.com/default.html

The New Word is "Non-Conventional", add "Conventional" to the Endangered Species List!
Live Outside The Box of "Conventional Wisdom"

I do Not Own Any Part of Any Bullet Company, I am not in the Employ Of Any Bullet Company. I do not represent, own stock, nor do I receive any proceeds, or monies from ANY BULLET COMPANY. I am not in the bullet business, and have no Bullets to sell to you, nor anyone else.

Posts: 8426 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 23 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like IMR 4320 with 500 grain bullets.

Posts: 42343 | Location: Crosby and Barksdale, Texas | Registered: 18 September 2006Reply With Quote