New
Find
Notify
Tools

Annealing:Did I get 'em too hot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted Hide Post
pdhntr1 ; Do as Winchester 69 suggested . I believe you may have two separate issues

going on here , eliminate one at a time . Mic that collet and inside Dia. of your necks BEFORE

doing any more !. Use this stuff as flame descriptions are difficult . Example Turbo torch acetylene

gas or map gas, propane gas will all have a slightly different color but a WORLD of difference in temp

at the tip !!!. One step at a time and your desired results will become reality .

archer archer archer

Posts: 4485 | Location: Planet Earth | Registered: 17 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
pdhntr1,Thank you for posting my pics.Seems they tell the tale of my crushed necks and shoulders.I'll clean and lube the collet die.I also fished the other brass from the scrap heap, maybe they are OK.Won't hurt to try sizing them. I figure the worst that can happen is the necks will split when they are shot,(If I can get them sized without crushing them).If there are other saftey concerns I need to know about them!!!

Something else just occured to me.When I put the case to the flame,I just heated the case mouth.I never gave case position, in relation to the flame,any thought.I just heated the case mouth and in 4-5 seconds the mouth turned red,but the neck did not change any noticeable color,which,and I am guessing here, would account for the lack of color at the neck/shoulder area.Should I adjust the flame position down the neck,and if so,how far? A reminder here,the case body NEVER got so hot that my fingers got burned.A little warm,perhaps, but definetly not hot.

thanks again

prplbkrr

Posts: 147 | Location: Green Co.,Wis | Registered: 07 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 303Guy
posted Hide Post
quote:
I figure the worst that can happen is the necks will split when they are shot ...
I would think the worst that will happen is your chamber pressure might be a little lower. Unlikely, but ... But as you say "lack of colour". Maybe those cases are just fine. All they have to do is have some resistance as the bullet is seated. Consistancy is most important IMHO. (I successfully reload with zero neck tension and hand seating of the bullets - moreso the cast bullet and paper patch bullet folks).

Regards
303Guy

Posts: 2518 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 October 2007Reply With Quote