Find
Notify
Tools

75gn Hornady in AR-15
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,
Does anyone have much experience with the Hornady 75gn A Max in their AR-15s? It seems like I'm seating the bullet really deep just to fit the mag. The widest part of the bullet looks to be almost below the cartridge neck, and my Lee seating die is crimping the case mouth around the nose ogive a little. Is this something to worry about, pressure wise? I'm using 22gn of H335, in a Stag Arms Model 6 with 8:1 twist.

Thanks, Albatross.

Posts: 2497 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 21 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
The 75 grain AMax can't be loaded to magazine length. It's too long. Hornady does make a 75 grain HPBT that can be loaded to mag length.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sam:
The 75 grain AMax can't be loaded to magazine length. It's too long. Hornady does make a 75 grain HPBT that can be loaded to mag length.

This

You can shoot it but you have to single load it.

I shoot the Hornady 75gr BTHP in two of my AR's with excellent results.

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
Thanks Zeke, I should have mentioned single loading. There are a lot of High Power shooters loading the Amax for 600 yard slow fire prone.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote