THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What's your opinion of the RCBS Precision Mic???

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's your opinion of the RCBS Precision Mic???
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of RSY
posted
The Precision Mic has always seemed like a great little gadget to me. However, a while back, I corresponded with someone from Sinclair that informed me that they may stop carrying them since they didn't meet their standards of quality/effectiveness.

What does everyone think? I was about to buy one, but may not now. Thanks for any input.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
I had a bunch of them and have sold all but two, a 300 Win Mag and a 243. They accomplish much the same thing as the Stoney Point Chamber All which does the same thing much more conveniently. They both have flaws. The Stoney Point won't be accurate unless you use fireformed cases to absorb the difference in clearance of the new case they provide. You can't measure from boltface to lands with the tool as they use a new factory case which has built in headspace clearance. To eliminate this inaccuracy you need to fireform a case then drill and tap it to use in the tool, or use a fireformed case with seated bullet to verify location of the lands. That isn't a problem in the Precision Mic that relies on the bolt to chamber the dummy round thereby eliminating the headspace question and giving a measurement from boltface to lands. On the other hand, the Mics are cumbersome in having to assemble and dissassemble to measure cases and cartridges. They may be a bit more precise than the Stoney Point.

I have no idea what the Sinclair rep may have been talking about as to quality. If that is a question or a problem, you know that with RCBS they will make it right.

[This message has been edited by Bob338 (edited 12-30-2001).]

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bob338:
I have no idea what the Sinclair rep may have been talking about as to quality. If that is a question or a problem, you know that with RCBS they will make it right.

I think he may have meant the overall design itself, not workmanship or materials. Maybe they're not precise or accurate enough for them. Who knows?

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote