Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best reloadin press?
 Login/Join

posted
I am starting out reloading for rifle. I allready do shotugn and have a Mec 9000.
I will be loading
30-06 for hunting
30-06 to feed M1's
7.5x55 Swiss
What press should I start out with?

Question:
Which press should I start out with?

Choices:
RCBS single stage
RCBS turret
Lyman T-Mag II
Foster Co-Ax

Posts: 19 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: 17 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
What a loaded question!!
I have to go with the Co-Ax as it`s what I have used the last 7-8 years. I started on my dads RCBS jr, went to a garage sale Rockchucker, sold it to the wifes nephew when she bough me a new Lyman Orange Chrusher for Christmas one year, and finally decided the Co-Ax was what I wanted all along. If you are planning on running lots of ammo through the M1 you might be better off with a turret or progressive though.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the attributes of the bonanza press is what sold me. as mentioned though if auto loaders are gonna be -- progressive is the way to go.

Posts: 1019 | Location: foothills of the Brooks Range | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Surely you know that Lyman produces a really good single stage kit for about $244 including an outstanding case trimmer. I got the Crusher Expert Kit with the powder measurer, the single-stage press, the scale,the case trimmer, the lube pad and it even included a copy of the Lyman Reloading Manual. Got it from Cabela's in 1996. In 2002, a part on the press broke due to my letting a total asshole use the press who felt that you had to slam the handle down to reload properly. I explained what happened and shipped the busted press back to Lyman, fully expecting to get a letter back with an invoice for about $70. Instead, I got a box with a brand new press inside and a letter of appology from Lyman for the press to break in the first place, no matter who did it, or how it was done. RCBS makes a good product to be sure. But for me, the Lyman single stage is the only way to go, but then, you didn't list it with the other single stage presses. If you have the dollars, go for the Co-Ax. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman T Mag-11 the Orange Crusher, and Midways RL-550B is what is on my bench

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SORRY!!!!Dillons Precision not Midway ! RL550-B

Posts: 497 | Location: PA | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've got both the Coax and RCBS on my bench, and the Coax is great with no shellholder needed and die changeouts taking 2 seconds--Really! For those cartridges, I'd definitely take my Coax and leave my RCBS behind.

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote