New
Find
Notify
Tools

Good reloading book for rifles
 Login/Join

<Snake>
posted
I'm quite experienced in reloading handgun cartridges but I am just now starting to reload for my rifles, primarily, my .375 h+h to start. I confess to being somewhat confused about the step by step for rifle cartridge reloading and I wonder of some of you all can recommend a good book that outlines the step by step, tips, etc.

one of us
posted Hide Post
hornady, speer, sierra. each also have videos available.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
<pigman>
posted
Lyman's manuel is good as well. They give good step by step directions and plenty of load data.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think I have most of them and they're all pretty good. If I could keep only one though it would be the Hodgon manual. Take a look at it and see if it's what you're looking for. Second choice would be Hornady, probably because I use a lot of their stuff.

Posts: 740 | Location: CT/AZ USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Snake>
posted
Thanks for the help guys.

<rickdm>
posted
Snake, I will give you my perspective as someone who has recently started reloading and read all that I could get a hold of. I think the Lyman manual has one of the better step by step overviews of the reloading process, but the Sinclair book on precision reloading had by far the best detailed information on both the process and the specific brands of equipment to buy. I go back and refer to it often.

Have fun,
Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Snake,
After you have read all you can on the process you might look at Ken Waters' book on Favorite Loads. He tests many diffeent combinations and then re-tests with new powders and components. I found his information helpful and his assessments unbiased as to components and their effectivness. He also lists his evaluation of accuracy and uses regular rifles as a baseline to help you find what works for you. It really saved me a lot of time in finding a load I could use now which allows for more time actually shooting.
More than anything have fun with it.

[This message has been edited by Frank Martinez (edited 03-31-2002).]

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best and most thorough ones are (in alphabetic order):
- A-Square rifle and reloading book ("Any shot you want")
- RWS DNAG handbook (8th ed.)
- Vapenjournalens Ladebok.

All others lag *far* behind. Ren� Malfatti's French book is fine and contains many nuggets of gold, though, but IMHO it is not too suitable for beginners.

Carcano

[This message has been edited by carcano91 (edited 03-31-2002).]

Posts: 2452 | Location: Old Europe | Registered: 23 June 2001Reply With Quote