New
Find
Notify
Tools

get rid of moly fast and easy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Just used a product that is new to me on my 7 STW. It is shooters choice concentrated copper remover. You clean as normal to get rid of the powder residue then you run this stuff in the barrel on a patch. Must be potent stuf because the instructions say not to leave it in the bore more than 5 to 10 minutes. It got rid of the moly from what I thought was a clean barel and the copper really fast. Made the moly turn into liquid instantly. After cleaning the barrel I put some hornady v-max moly bullets in a glass and put a little of the copper remover in and presto this stuff peeled right off the bullets. Potent stuff. Has anyone else out ther used this product?

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
Yep - SC Copper Remover has been around for awhile. It is more aggressive than the regular SC but less so than Sweets, CR-10, or Montana X-Treme. It only contains a higher percentage of ammonia over the regular SC, plus they thickened it up a little to stay on a brush better.

As far as working on moly, I have found that all the high ammonia content cleaners do a good job of emulsifying moly. Remember - moly does not like to stick to anything. It takes a lot of heat, pressure, and friction to work it into the crevices of a bore.

[ 01-08-2003, 02:58: Message edited by: Zero Drift ]

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
Um... maybe we're not talking about a LOT of copper, but... wouldn't it eat off some of the copper on your bullets? I suppose the thing to do would be to just stand there while the moly was being removed and give them a good rinse to stop the action of the ammonia. Question: Does water "stop" ammonia?

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
won't use the bullets now was just conducting an experment on if it removes moly. With the bullets I could see how well it worked and how fast.

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote