New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cast Bullet Loading for .45 ACP
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey guys, iv handloaded rifle ammunition for awhile now and im beggining to look into reloading for my 1911 .45 ACP. Iv purchased 250 cast 185 gr semi wad cutter bullets from a local distributor. I have the lyman cast bullet loading manual. Will the starting loades function in my gun? Any reccommended loads for cast bullets in 45 ACP? Thanks BC

Posts: 108 | Location: Panhandle of Texas | Registered: 20 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
Well, I began using lead in my XD40 a few months back due to them being cheaper. The important thing with lead is that you cannot push them fast without a gas check, and even then you cant go crazy. Higher pressures cause gas cutting where the lead cannot seal in the expanding gasses and it slips by the bullet. This leads to the deposit of lead in the barrel, which could lead to unsafe pressures. Luckily though, most auto pistols don't really have super speed so it may not be an issue. I bought hornadys lead bullets which they suggested be kept under 900 fps. I selected a powder and charge weight for that weight bullet and velocity. From there it is just testing. I used titegroup which is a good auto powder, but is a little finicky with pressure as to how clean it burns. My charges were on the low end and I got some soot and smoke. Good luck.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
I've used a variety of 45 ACP cast bullets in a Paraordinance P-45 with good results in weights from 185-200-230. Using a HG mold for the 200's and they seems to shoot the best in it.

As far as powders go almost all of the faster burners seems to work ok. I've had good luck with with Bullseye, Universal Clays, Clays, and Unique. Try them and see what you think, with a eye on the Bullseye.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by model7LSS:
Well, I began using lead in my XD40 a few months back due to them being cheaper. The important thing with lead is that you cannot push them fast without a gas check, and even then you cant go crazy. Higher pressures cause gas cutting where the lead cannot seal in the expanding gasses and it slips by the bullet. This leads to the deposit of lead in the barrel, which could lead to unsafe pressures. Luckily though, most auto pistols don't really have super speed so it may not be an issue. I bought hornadys lead bullets which they suggested be kept under 900 fps. I selected a powder and charge weight for that weight bullet and velocity. From there it is just testing. I used titegroup which is a good auto powder, but is a little finicky with pressure as to how clean it burns. My charges were on the low end and I got some soot and smoke. Good luck.

This isn't entirely true. The Hornady bullet is a soft swaged w/ dry film lube, good for less than 900fps. A good cast bullet, properly sized & a good lube can easily be pushed faster, quite a bit faster. I have shot cast lead bullets in the 44mag w/ very little leading upto 1400fps.
For the 45acp, you want a bullet sized 0.452". If cast of at least BHN10, yo ucan easily drive them w/ no leading @ 900fps. What powders do you have? My fav. target load is a 200grLSWC o/ 4.8gr of WST. They make about 850fps w/ amazing acciuracy in my 1911s. WST shotos much cleaner than BE too.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use Lee's 230RN "tumble lube" bullet. I cast them from wheel weights, lube and size to .452". I use either Red Dot or Unique, enough to make them go somewhere in the 850-950fps range. Cheap, fun, and reasonably accurate.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
use a lot of hard cast bullets. Brinell hardness of 14-16 can easily be cheap to shoot and has no problem with 1200-1300fps speeds.
Thar velocity though not quite what you get from a jacketed bullet, is quite respectable and makes my 1911 a cast bullet shooters dream.

recoil is very manageable and accuracy and leading is low with these hard cast bullets.
Might try Dardas cast bullets. good product/good price.

Posts: 155 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 13 April 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lubricant makes the load. With .45 acp or moderate .45 Colt loads I have found old Lyman Ideal lube to be excellent. 50\50 alox-beeswax for anything over 950-1000 fps. If you are using Lee products. Their lube works well too. Hard lubes with modest loads do not work. As soft lubes do not work at high velocities.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Brennanc9093: Back to the question that you asked. Most starting load listed for your gun should work. Go to the Hodgdon site and look up 45ACP. They show a 180gr cast bullets. 5grs of lead won't make a hill of beans of differents. The powder that I have had the best luck with in the 45ACP w/cast bullets in this weight is W231/HP-38(same powder different cans). They list 5gr(start)to 6gr(max).

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The problem with starting with the starting load as it may not cycle your gun fully. I tried the starting load of Bullsey 3.5gr in my Kimber and it wouldn’t always eject the empty case. I bumped it up to 4.0 for about 780 fps you can go to the max and get over 900 fps.
RJE,
What kind of 45acp are you getting 1300 fps?
Bill

Member DSC,DRSS,NRA,TSRA
A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way.
-Mark Twain
There ought to be one day - just one – when there is open season on Congressmen.
~Will Rogers~

Posts: 1132 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 09 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the cool thing about the acp is the lead loads and the jacketed are exactly the same.
i know for a fact dick casull uses blue dot in his acp loads,but they require a much stronger spring 22 lbs iirc.
i didn't have a chrono when i shot them but 1300 would be a bit optimistic.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote