Notify
Tools

Nickel plated .500 S&W cases
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted
Hi all,

what I have read some reloaders prefer nickel plated cases because of easy cleaning and easy extracting from cylinder. Is there any real advantage or disadvantage of nickel plated cases? Especially in .500 S&W caliber. I have never used it in my rifle or pistol reloads.

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like to use nickel when I have two similar cases so I can easily tell them apart. So I use a lot of nickel and I like it.

Posts: 3810 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use and like nickel handgun cases I also use a lot of brass casings also.

Posts: 19443 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like nickel in a pistol round, I think it's first use was so the cartridge wouldn't discolor in a leather ammo belt. And too, the pistol cartridges I reload are straight walled cartridges so there isn't any crazing as the neck is reformed. And that brings us to why I don't like nickel in a rifle cartridge. After a couple of re-sizings, the plating around the shoulders starts to craze and flake off.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dulltool17
posted Hide Post
Can't speak to the .500 S&W, but I load a fair amount of Nickel plated in .40 S&W. The club I used to belong to hosted the FBI every month, so I got to collect quite a bit of Nickel Winchester cases. I haven't really kept track, but I'm pretty sure I've loaded some over 10 times without issue.

Doug Wilhelmi
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7503 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: 15 October 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm all alone on the other side of the fence. I hate nickel brass. When I first started reloading it was with WW .357 nickel brass. Over time the nickel would flake off the mouth and stick inside my sizer die, scratching all brass that followed. I have very very little nickel brass on hand and I don't reload it.

I can see where the nickel brass is more "weather proof" and may stay "pretty" longer when exposed to the elements. I certainly don't want green ammo, but I'd like nickel only slighty more.

Posts: 283 | Registered: 25 September 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of MuskegMan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LeonardC:
I guess I'm all alone on the other side of the fence. I hate nickel brass. When I first started reloading it was with WW .357 nickel brass. Over time the nickel would flake off the mouth and stick inside my sizer die, scratching all brass that followed and stick inside my sizer die, scratching all brass that followed. [I]and stick inside my sizer die, scratching all brass that followed. and stick inside my sizer die, scratching all brass that followed. I have very very little nickel brass on hand and I don't reload it.

I can see where the nickel brass is more "weather proof" and may stay "pretty" longer when exposed to the elements. I certainly don't want green ammo, but I'd like nickel only slighty more.

Haven't made the jump to a carbide sizer I take it.

Posts: 2097 | Location: S.E. Alaska | Registered: 18 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of buffybr
posted Hide Post
I've never had any problems reloading nickel plated cases.

I separate the .38 spl and.357 magnum nickel and brass cases, and load them with different bullets. It's then easier to tell the difference in loads.

As for .45 acp, they all get thrown together, and I can't tell any difference shooting them.

After multiple firings, I've seen the nickel begin to wear thin on some cases, but I've never had any issues reloading them.

NRA Endowment Life Member

Posts: 1632 | Location: Boz Angeles, MT | Registered: 14 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Steve E.
posted Hide Post
I know it's not 500 S&W brass but I had some R-P 444 Marlin brass that I reformed to 309 JDJ and I reloaded them so many times most of the nickel wore off of them and still had tight primer pockets.

Steve........

NRA Patron Life Member
GOA Life Member
North American Hunting Club Life Member
USAF Veteran

Posts: 1836 | Location: Semo | Registered: 31 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like some companies know how to nickel plate brass better than others !! Roll Eyes

one of us
Picture of Jiri
posted Hide Post
Hi guys,

thanks for you advice. But what do you think about easier extraction from revolver cylinder with higher pressure loads? Do you think it could be any benefit?

Jiri

Posts: 2099 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
I think it would but haven't tried it.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote