New
Find
Notify
Tools

Win 571 vs Blue Dot
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have seen a number of folks here using Blue dot in rifle loads. The burn rate of Win 571 is very close to B.D. Does it have vastly different characteristics that would make unsuitable for Blue Dot type of rifle loading?
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of STINGER
posted Hide Post
571 is a hair quicker so if I were using it I would start a little lower and keep adding till I got the proper velocity as measured on a chrono and watching case expansion very closely.

I'd wait for seafire to answer first though before I proceeded further.

Best wishes, Bill

Posts: 479 | Location: MINOT, NORTH DAKOTA | Registered: 24 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Greg,

I have never used 571... I have seen some over at the Sportsman' Whorehouse locally.. however never loaded it..

What I can comment about Blue Dot, is that I know it is accurate.. it also does have a point that it has a quick pressure spike...

Blue Dot is also exceedingly consistent and accurate in a wide variety of cartridges...and bullet weights..

Testing low volume loads, I have had to repair a rifle or two, based on powders with pressure spike ability....

First thing I'd look at is to see if it is bulky like Blue Dot.. Winchester always seem to like to make flake powders like 748 and 760 for example..

Therefore I can answer intelligently on its use...

Does the question come from an availability issue? or do you just have a batch of it around?

I'd recommend looking at cast manuals, before proceeding and would recommend looking at there load data for it..

A quick check of mine doesn't show it listed...

sorry I couldn't be of more assistance..
cheers
seafire
beer

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you are loading but if it is 45 ACP, 571 is monsterously accurate. I have used it for a long time and use Blue Dot loading data less 3%.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used W571 and HS7 in 357 mag and 12 ga shotgun loads. It has been my experience in 357 that it is a hard powder to ignite- typical of ball powders, and W571 has been used in 2 of the 3 squib loads I ever had in 357. To me this would make it a poor choose for reduced loads in rifle cases. as usual my .02

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks fellows, I just have a big jug of it and nothing to use it in as I don't shoot handgun and loading it for shotshell, doesn't seem all that viable anymore. I just thought because the burn rate was so close to B D that it may be useable in 223 applications. Maybe I'll just sell it off.
Thanks Greg

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why not use it with a hotter magnum primer?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
WW 571 is no longer available, and there are a lot of shotshell shooters who would love to have your hoard. It is a great performer in high velocity 20's (1 oz at 1220fps) and magnum 12's. I have used it in heavy handgun loads, but there are better powders for this purpose.

Just because it is similar in burning rate to Blue Dot, don't assume it will have the unique characteristics of B.D. in reduced centerfire rifle loads. In my experience, there has never been a powder that performs as consistently as Blue Dot in reduced loads. Just yesterday I chrongraphed 10 straight shots from a .223 using 12.5 grains of Blue Dot under a 50 grain bullet. The maximum spread for all 10 shots was 36 fps.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
WW 571 is no longer available, and there are a lot of shotshell shooters who would love to have your hoard.

Hodgdon HS7 is still available and is the same powder as far as I knoqw.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swheeler:
quote:
WW 571 is no longer available, and there are a lot of shotshell shooters who would love to have your hoard.

Hodgdon HS7 is still available and is the same powder as far as I knoqw.

I think you're right about that Swheeler. But didn't I read that HS-7 is "limited to stock on hand", implying that there is no more to be manufactured?

HS-7 is the same spec powder, I believe. As with most all powders, the "cannister" powder comes from lots that happen to fit the "cannister" specs close enough in closed bomb or some other type of testing, while other lots are sold in bulk to ammunition manufacturers. Thus, HS-7 may vary a bit from WW 571, but you should be able to do with one what you do with the other.

Similarly, it appears that HS-6 is the same spec powder as WW-540.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes another old timer being replaced with some newfangled wonder powder. A blue magic hull, 30 grs 571 and 1.5 oz lead, them there birds didn't stand a chance. I've still got the Rem M11 but everything else has been replaced/improved, you know the drill. I figured by now they would have invented flavored shot so you could shoot it and season it at the same time, maybe powder that would lightly smoke it too.