New
Find
Notify
Tools

sorting .38 special brass and have questions
 Login/Join

posted
hi all,
i have been sorting out accumulated 38 special brass. i have some remington-peters, winchester, nickeled winchester, GFL, and WCC56.

1. i don't know what brand is marked GFL or WCC56. can someone tell me what this is?
2. which is best for reloading? i have more of the R-P than anything else, but i also have a decent quantity of GFL, whatever that is. [i have a co-worker's husband that will reload it for me if i wish.]
3. approximately 20% of my brass is corroded and blue in color. can this brass be tumbled and cleaned completely? or is this brass unusable?

thanks,
kstockfo

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kstockfo:
hi all,
i have been sorting out accumulated 38 special brass. i have some remington-peters, winchester, nickeled winchester, GFL, and WCC56.

1. i don't know what brand is marked GFL or WCC56. can someone tell me what this is?
2. which is best for reloading? i have more of the R-P than anything else, but i also have a decent quantity of GFL, whatever that is. [i have a co-worker's husband that will reload it for me if i wish.]
3. approximately 20% of my brass is corroded and blue in color. can this brass be tumbled and cleaned completely? or is this brass unusable?

thanks,
kstockfo

WCC is Winchester Cartridge Company and GFL is Fiocchi....both good brass.

Corrosion actually weakens the brass. You'll have to clean/tumble it to see the degree of damage. Cleaning is a good idea as it will show up other case flaws and also clean is better for the life of your sizer die.

One of Us
Picture of model7LSS
posted Hide Post
I may be crazy, and someone will correct me if I am wrong but, for plinking/target loads in my 40 S&W, I used to sort the brass. Now I don't. I look at it to make sure of no obvious defects and load away.

Auburn University BS '09, DVM '17

Posts: 604 | Location: Selma, AL | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I may be crazy, and someone will correct me if I am wrong but, for plinking/target loads in my 40 S&W, I used to sort the brass. Now I don't. I look at it to make sure of no obvious defects and load away.

For plinking and even normal target shooting I don't worry about sorting my pistol brass.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of thecanadian
posted Hide Post
Other than the nickel plated stuff, I dont sort my 38 Spec or 357 mag either. Just dont load them to the hilt and you will be fine. Nickle plating will sometimes reduce CC and lead to higher pressure compared to non-plated with the same charge.

"though the will of the majority is in all cases to prevail, that will to be rightful must be reasonable; that the minority possess their equal rights, which equal law must protect, and to violate would be oppression."

---Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1090 | Location: Eau Claire, WI | Registered: 20 January 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
There are a multitude of differences in some cases and it pertains to more then just one caliber. The one that comes to mind first and foremost is the 9mm Luger. It's made by many different manufacturers around the world and dimensions, especially case wall thickness vary immensely. What that does is have an effect on internal powder volume capacity and also bullet tension. A load that is safe in a particularly thin walled 9mm might not be so in a thick walled case. Variation in powder capacity staying with the same charge of powder will change the velocities of the bullet. This could matter in bullseye competition. I agree for plinding it doesn't. With that said I see a large different in 38 Special and 357 Magnum case thicknesses. The 38 Special use to be one of the top bullseye competition cartridges and what I spoke about would affect your groups. There's a difference is 38 Special cases particularly the ones meant for full wadcutters then say the ones that shoot a light round nose bullet.

If you're selling brass, which I know the op didn't say he was, most reloaders like the brass with the same headstamp.

Just my two cents.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I agree most people when they buy brass want the same stamp. If you are shooting something like bullseye I consider that something other than normal target shooting. For me that is putting about 12-18 rds in a black 3-5" black bull. I also agree if you are pushing pressure then capacity can make a difference.

Heck all but a couple of my pistols don't have adjustable sights. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't sort handgun brass. I do sort rifle brass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:

WCC is Winchester Cartridge Company and GFL is Fiocchi....both good brass.

Close, but no cigar. WCC is WESTERN Cartridge Company 56 is the year it was made.
Western does the military contracts for Winchester (WCC56 was loaded for the military)

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote