New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which Primer to Use?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I suspect everyone has a "pet primer" but I wonder if there are any REAL reasons for any of this.

Probably 60 - 70 % of the primers I've used in my life have been CCI. Only reason for this is that was usually what I was able to get the best deal on. But I've shot a ton of every other brand as well and quite honestly, other than the hardness or softness of the primer cup, I haven't been able to tell 2 cents worth of difference in any of them. Granted I am not an obsessive benchrest shooter.

To add to my confusion, when I've talked to Dillon technical support about a couple of issues in the problem...they tell me NEVER use CCI primers.

What's supposedly wrong with CCI? What is supposedly the "best." If there is some great tell tale sign about what makes a wonderful primer, then I confess I've missed it along the road of life.

If it's accurate and goes bang when I pull the trigger and seems to ignite the powder well...then I pretty much lose interest in the primer subject from there on and go look for something else to worry about in my life.

Anyone?

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I use Federal Gold Medal Match primers. I use them because I heard that they were the most consistant primers, but so far I haven't had the time or desire to really test them.
The only way to test them is to use a set load and only vary the primer. The primer I would choose should have the smallest spread between the fastest and the slowest velocity.
However, I really can't recommend one primer over another. I hear that federal and winchester primers are good, and remington and cci's are questionable.
If anyone has solid test results, I would be interested in hearing them.

posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Old Fart - Back when I started loading Remington Primers were considered THE BEST, at least by all the benchrest boys. But like I say, putting bullets thru the same hole was never my sport.

Rufus - WHO did the test you have posted the link to. Look interesting and I'll check it out later. Thanks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Call Dillon back and ask them why they never use CCI primers. I would like to see the answer. [Confused]

Posts: 130 | Location: Central U.S.A | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
quote:
Rufus - WHO did the test you have posted the link to. Look interesting and I'll check it out later. Thanks.
It is from the home page of this web site. But I don't know who actually did the test. Just go to the FAQ link on the home page.

[ 01-15-2003, 03:47: Message edited by: Rufus ]

Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
In rifles, I've found in several instances that federal's are noteably more accurate then CCI's. I haven't tested Winchester or rem enough to form an opinion, but have never had a complaint with Federal.

For straightwall cased handgun rounds, I've been pleased with CCI's, so haven't had a reason to change, and they are typically the least exspensive.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I switched to Rem 7 1/2BR primers for all my small rifle applications 6 or 8 years back. I have had excellent results with them. In large rifle applications I can't see much difference in the various offerings out there.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used Federal exclusively over the last 10 yrs or so. Mainly just because they were supposed to be so much better. Last year I was playing with one of my my 6 BR's and noticed I was having trouble with the Federal primers piercing. I was loading to the max, going for velocity. On a whim, I switched to CCI Benchrest primers. The piercing stopped and the groups tightened up. I have come to the conclusion that there are no primers that I refuse to use. When I owned my reloading shop, I heard ALL of the horror stories about ALL of the different primer manufactures. All I can say is to buy 100 of the ones you think you like and try them. The only thing that you may want to be concerned about is that some of the manufactures of the hand prime tools recommend to use certain primers. I think that this is because of the hardness of the cup. Probably a Safety issue.

Posts: 102 | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hmmmmmmmmm. Not what I expected guys! I thought this answer would produce a bunch of responses about as polarized as a 270 VS 30/06 question. [Confused]

But sift all your answers together and I don't get any strong sentiment one way or another either.

After all the lip the Dillon tech's game me about CCI primers, I simply stopped buying them. But I think I still have several cartons of them and intend to shoot them up. Last few years when I buy primers I buy Federal or Win.

I think Dillons objection to CCI had to do with sloppy primer cups. The CCI primers gave the Dillon automatic primer feed the most problems due to erratic sizes, I suppose.

Anyway, thanks guys. I think I'm going to scratch this question off my list of things to worry about and just shoot whatever primer turns me on at any given day. It's pretty well worked out the last 45 years so I can probably limp by a little longer with this method. [Smile]

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pecos45:
Hmmmmmmmmm. Not what I expected guys! I thought this answer would produce a bunch of responses about as polarized as a 270 VS 30/06 question.

GINGER!!!

[Cool]

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
<KING>
posted
I only use CCI primers. In Rifle, or Pistol. I haven't had malfunction or screwup. I use a simple single stage press, a Lee prime all for seating primers in cases. They have performed well for me since 1979. I've use BR primers ETC. All work well. Use what works for you and are accurate and consistant.

<Chainsaw>
posted
Pecos, I think your question could be answered this way. It just depends on the lot# of the primers you purchase. I use mainly magnum primers as I mainly use "ball type" powders. Our climate in Cheeseville is cold as well.

I have a lot of Rem 9 1/2M primers that fit loosein most brass I have used them in. This is contrary to everyone elses findings. I have some CCI 250's that fit tight in everything I have used them in. A good lot to keep if primer pockets get stretched out.

I use primers from all companies and have noticed a slight tightening of groups with some.

For .223 I use Rem. 7 1/2's and for pistol Winchester. I have used Federal with great success also. I keep a few of each on hand for troubleshooting bucky rifles, but buy in bulk for the main players I use.

Like you, I'll probably worry about sumpin else if I can find the time [Big Grin] --------Chainsaw

one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's an angle that hasn't been commented on, at least on this thread.

Different brands of primers produce significantly different peak pressures. I use CCI, because in a test that I read, they generally produced lower peak pressures than other brands, along with very slightly lower muzzle velocities.

What's the tradeoff?? Heckifino!! But I like the idea of pressures on the safe side.... easier on the gun, easier on me.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Found some of the pressure data, which might be interesting. Data are from PS magazine, Sep 99. I do not have the number of cartridges tested for each primer, or what the within group variation was, but the data are still interesting:

30-06, 54.5 grains A2015BR pushing 168 grain Matchking, 3.25" OAL.

Primer..Pressure
WLRM....63.0 KPSI
BR2.....59.6
9 1/2...59.3
210M....59.0
WLR.....58.9
WLP.....58.9
9 1/2M..57.7
2 1/2...57.2

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Denton - Wow, I would never have dreamed primers could produce THAT broad a pressure spread! Thanks for the post.

I HAVE successfully used CCI primers in my Dillons and like most things, it may just take a bit of adjusting about like what you would expect if you changed bullets. No big deal.

I'm satisfied this is a No Worry subject for me. [Smile]

One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
I recall reading that Federal 210s are actually supposed to be hotter than WMLR primers. I tried them both with my 06 loads, I also tried CCI and gained an average of 70 fs and accuracy was just as good if not better, guess which one Im using. [Wink]

Posts: 10160 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
<phurley>
posted
I have used every primer manufactured over 30 years of reloading. Six years ago when, I started shooting more than a thousand rounds per year, I decided to take the primer variable out of the equation. Now I use only Fed 210M and 215M primers. The 210's in all non magnum, except for my .300 Mag. If I use 215's with it, the group is blown to one inch. All other Magnum's get the 215M primer. I couldn't ask for better results. [Wink] Good shooting.