Notify
Tools

switching from Vhit N150 to N550
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
hey guys,

ive been using some N150 and found some good loads and got hold of some N550,

can i use the same charges? or so i still need to work up a new load?

i know it seem like a simple question but value your opinions.

thanks

Posts: 358 | Location: Wiltshire, UK | Registered: 09 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
No you need to use different grains of load.

Posts: 110 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 15 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.lapua.com/index.php?id=850 their reloading manual is free online and/or when you buy powder in any quantity from most dealers

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
You need new loads.

What caliber are you reloading? I have used both in my 375H&H and my gun shoots better with 150. From what I read the 550 doesnt shoot well unless its close to max pressures, so maybe I just need hotter loads.

If I remember correctly my loads were three grains heavier with 550 than 150 with 260 Accubonds and magnum primers.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
going to try it in 243 AI and 7mm08 AI,

thought id see just how fast i can get them, hotter loads shouldn't be a problem!

thanks for the replies so far, it would make sense to start new loads, just wanted to check.

One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
You might get some really cool mussleblasts as well. A few years ago I tried some 540 for my 35 Whelen, and the guy next to me on the range said his hands got warm from my mussleblast.

I like big booms with flames.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i might just have to try it in the 30.06 as well then!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Isn't the Vihta 550 the double-base equivalent to the single-base N150? All Alliant Reloader powders are double base and should correspond to the Vihta 5xx series, shouldn't they?

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DUK:
Isn't the Vihta 550 the double-base equivalent to the single-base N150? All Alliant Reloader powders are double base and should correspond to the Vihta 5xx series, shouldn't they?

DUK,

i am led to believe that is the case being double based powder, as for the relationship with reliant im not sure.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've checked with Quickload 3.3; it seems that, for the cartridges you mentioned, switching from the N150 to N550, may require rougly 2-3 more grains of powder to get similar levels of pressure, but it's only a guess, of course!

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've compared 140 to 540 and 160 to 560 and got entirely different results.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sherpi
posted Hide Post
I have used n160 and n560 in a 6,5x55 with 140 grain bullets. Both powder were accurate but my impression was that it was more blast and recoil from the n560. I used max load from the online manual with both powders. I did not crono the loads. I now use the n160.

Sauer and Zeiss, perfect match.
Sherpi

Posts: 134 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 01 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sherpi:
....but my impression was that it was more blast and recoil from the n560.....

I agree; I'm just back from the range, were I've made some tests with my Tikka T3 cal. 270WSM and a few N560 loads. Both blast and recoil were noticeably and unpleasantly stronger than my usual N165 load; the barrel seems to get hotter too. I will try use the N560 as little as possible.

Posts: 1459 | Location: north-west Italy | Registered: 16 April 2002Reply With Quote