New
Find
Notify
Tools

new guy
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Well after getting my son to college, two divorces, and working away from home most of my life I'm now ready to start reloading, and shooting alot more than I have been. I will probably wear you guys out with questions. Probably going to get started after the holidays. Just wanted to say Hello., and thank you in advance. Thanks, Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Welcome. It's good to see more people getting into reloading. The kids here are all gone too but Wifezilla's still around.

The reloading room is my sanctuary now.

Posts: 12713 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Welcome. Ask all the questions you want. I'm sure you will get lots of responses.

Be sure to take in lots of advice before you start purchasing stuff!!

one of us
Picture of Perforator
posted Hide Post
Welcome to your new addiction. Just remember, there are no stupid questions when it comes to reloading. The most simple question not asked may be the one that causes you problems. Good luck in your new endeavor.

Mike

Posts: 399 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
Welcome!!

After 10 years of serious archery, I decided last year to get back into guns and gun hunting (my dad taught me with guns and he was never an archer...I guess it was the rebellion thing-I just had to be different) Now that my dad is in his early fifties, I realize how much more he knows that I know...that took a while!

Anyway, I started handloading last summer and this board is the best place for advice bar none. So far, no one has tried to sell me anything...the advice have received has been based on experience and not sales reports or advertising.

I also suggest that you ask questions before purchasing equipment. I received an RCBS Rockchucker kit for Christmas in 2000. I never used it until last summer. There are individual differences and different ways to get too the end. If you listen to what these guys say, you will save time and maybe some cash.

The cash you save on equipment will come in handy because you will not save money by handloading. You just shoot a lot more than you ever did before !

A friend of mine asked me during KY's rifle season, "Why do you go to so much trouble trying to load ammo for a 75 yard shot at an animal the size of a white-tailed deer when you know a 3" group at 100 yards will do the job?" Well, I know a 3" group will get the job done, but I enjoy shooting a lot and seeing how small I can make those groups. It is fun man!!!!

I just had to edit this, I forgot to mention that I call the female inhabitor of my house the "Squakbox". I've been spending so much time in my loading room that she says she is going to get me some of those two way radios or a cheapo intercom system so she can call me and tell me the trash needs taking out or something> Can you believe that?

My father-in-law once gave us an answering machine for Christmas. It worked for only a week. I don't know how that hammer fell on the answering machine!!!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
""I just had to edit this, I forgot to mention that I call the female inhabitor of my house the "Squakbox". I've been spending so much time in my loading room that she says she is going to get me some of those two way radios or a cheapo intercom system so she can call me and tell me the trash needs taking out or something> Can you believe that?""

My private SHED is a converted two car garage. In it next to the computer it's hocked up to is an extension to our house phone. When it is time for me to haul garbage my wife dials me up on her cell phone. Coming to your neighborhood soon. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. I hasve been shopping sort of for reloading stuff. I think I am leaning towards RCBS components. I will defintely inquire here before buying.

Chain

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Wecome to the forums, you`re going to find there`s a house full of people that will freely answer any questions you`ve got.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Run away, run away!
This is an addictive hobby. It will start out as just a little powder, bullets, primers and a press. Then you find you are adding a few items every time you go to a gun store or gun show. Then you find/see a good price for something on the internet. Soon you find that you have dies and shell plates for every caliber gun you own (even the ones you don�t shoot). The guys who have it really bad (like myself) have multiple presses and shell holders. Occasionally you find yourself shooting ammunition that you loaded, so you have once fired brass to work with, because you HAVE TO try a new load, powder, bullet. Then you look around and see piles and piles of brass, bullets, primers, powder. You may find yourself staying up late at night searching the internet for that one component, tool, source.

Run away, run away man while you can!

So you have decided to reload�.See you at the reloader�s anonymous meeting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to AR, "Warning this place is addictive"

Posts: 1018 | Location: Lafourche Parish, La. | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Others have warned you as well.....I started the same as you....just wanting to make basic .270 shells.

I now load for everything from .204 Ruger to .404 Jeffery, from .32 H&R Mag to .44 Mag and from .410 shotshell to 12 Ga and that includes the following machines:
Dillon 550, Dillon 650, Hornady 366 28 Ga, Mec 9000G 20 Ga, mec 9000G 12 Ga, RCBS grand 20 Ga, Hornady L&L AP, RCBS Rockchucker, MEC 600 Jr. 410, MEC 600JR. 28ga, mec 600 JR.12 Ga 3a"

I joined reloaders Anonomous a couple years ago and have been recuperating ever since. Praise the Lord.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome aboard and look through old threads i myself a'm about ready to reload in january and have already asked a bunch of questions remember if you don't know ask as people here are very willing to help each other out.In my case a guy read that i had a 308norma mag and emailed me asking if i was interested in his dies and brass that he had left as he got rid of his rifle he even mailed them to me before he recieved payment.so these sites help in many ways

Posts: 1026 | Location: UPSTATE NY | Registered: 08 December 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Howdy!

Posts: 39721 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome...

Posts: 439 | Location: Quebec Canada | Registered: 27 August 2001Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
Welcome indeed. Should you have questions, it is probable that you can get a correct answer on this board. However, it is sometimes difficult to figure out which answer to accept......