Find
Notify
Tools

Removal of separated brass from sizer!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Ok it finally happenend to me...

I was loading and a brass case separated on me in the resizer. Its well stuck inside of it and the head came off.

How do I get the brass out?

Its 9.3x74r brass and RCBS resizer.

Thanks!

Before all else, be armed.

Machiavelli

Posts: 364 | Location: Hawaii | Registered: 30 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try putting it in the freezer for a few hours, and then run an oversize bore brush up past the case neck and pull it back out. The brush bristles will (sometimes) grab on the neck and the case will follow. There are other methods that I haven't had the opportunity to use. If push comes to shove (and you can live with the down time), you can send it to Oroville and RCBS will remove it for you.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
Do you have an oxy/acet torch?

The best method I know of was told by Tom Burgess- Use a fine tip and heat a 1 inch line of the brass fron the base towards the neck. Just enough so it gets red. What happens is the brass expands and bulges up, then it cools down and shrinks and the brass falls out by itself. Takes less time to tell it than to do it.

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When I used to shoot IHMSA I carried a tap that would just thread itself down in the subjuct hull and then used a brass rod to run down from the muzzle end of the gun and tap out. You could try this method on your die.
If it is a special sizing die I would send it back to the factory.

Larry

Posts: 75 | Location: Ashdown, Ar | Registered: 13 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When this has happened to me,I inverted the die in vise(gently,W/padding),sprayed in Kroil oil around case O.D.,give oil time to penetrate,then remove with LHT easy out.

Never mistake motion for action.

Posts: 4394 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Send it to RCBS they will do it for free...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote