New
Find
Notify
Tools

Who uses a primer sealant?
 Login/Join

<allen day>
posted
What have your experiences been with primer sealants? The over-the-counter stuff that resembles a bottle of nail polish...........

AD

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use clear nail polish.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Allen,
I use primer sealant on all my waterfowl shotgun loads. After going through two bottles of George & Roy's I figured out that a bottle of translucent nail polish that is slightly thinned with with nail polish "rejuvenator/thinner" is the same thing. The slight thinning gives it the correct flow characteristics. The commercial primer sealant tends to get thicker as you get closer to the bottom of the bottle. Again, a touch of thinner restores the initial flow character.
I have pulled shotshells out of the muck and water after a couple days that worked well (the mouths were sealed with RTV silicon sealant).
I did seal the primers in my rifle ammunition when I lived in Alaska. I am a belts and suspenders sort.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have thought about sealing primers as I hunt in the rain all the flipping time, about the only time I get to go hunting in fact,

Is there any need to seal the necks as well,,,,,

for us belt and suspender types ??????????

Posts: 376 | Location: Western, NC, USA | Registered: 29 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
I've never felt a need to seal either primers or necks.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote