THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    my rcbs hand primer does not seat all the way down, am i doing something wrong?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my rcbs hand primer does not seat all the way down, am i doing something wrong?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Using an RCBS hand primer with the attached primer tray. Am I doing it wrong, since it closes all the way up, before the primer is completely below the case head.

It could be shimmed, but these things must be better designed than that. Is there a trick to this?

Do these things just wear out?

thanks

Posts: 902 | Location: Denver Colderado | Registered: 13 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had any problem with mine. Do you have the rod in correctly. What shellholder are you using, is it RCBS?

Posts: 115 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 07 May 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
I replaced my shellholder first, then replaced my RCBS hand primer in november, after about 10 years of service. I notice it started seating higher, and then turn the cases 90degrees, which worked for about 3 weeks, then I just gave up.

for $25, it's not worth the risk of a high primer, but try replacing the shell holder first.

jeffe

Posts: 39710 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Call RCBS and tell them your problem. Those rods are not consistent in length. Their manufacturing tolerances will sometimes allow you to end up with a rod too short to bottom the primer. They'll send you another. I use about 4 of these to save trouble of changing the shell holder. I've found that by switching shell holders or swapping the rods between them you can get perfect seating. The rods will vary somewhat in length and yours is probably .010" too short for the shell holder combination.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
If you can't get the RCBS to work for you, get one of the Hornady models. Mine works flawlessly. I think it's also available from Cabela's as their house-brand primer seater.

Good luck,
RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The bearing surfaces of the operating cam will wear over time, especially if left unlubricated. This results in a shorter stroke of the primer punch and resultant high primer seating.

As one poster mentioned earlier, these tools are cheap; just get a new one.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you are using an RCBS shellholder. The deck heights of these vary from brand to brand.