Find
Notify
Tools

powder and primer stowage
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted
I have built a few stowage containers out of old ref. for welding rods. My question is at what temp should my powder be kept and does anyone make a stowage container for powder and primers. I generally keep them in my house but my stock keeps growing so I like to move them to my shop. It is not heated or cooled so there is a big vbasiation in temp. As always any and all help would be greatly appericated.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
well, I keep my primers in the house
and my powder in the utility building I reload in. Now thats just me...

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
That is suppose to read variation in temp. I need typing lessons. Confused

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a wood working buddy build me a powder box of 3/4 inch plywood lined with double layers of sheet rock. It measures 2X2X3 (feet that is) and is on casters because it is quite heavy. It has a lid also lined with sheet rock, that is not sealed so that it could not restrict any pressure. It is in my basement where it is dry and cool all year. It has worked for many years now. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Two words, cool and dry. All you need to remember.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Sam
posted Hide Post
I''m living on the edge here. Primers in shipping boxes on a shelf. My older and open boxes are in an ammo can. Most of my powder in in a two drawer metal filing cabinet. By no means air tight, sits on a concrete floor next to a brick wall. Probably 15 to 18 pounds of powder.

I prefer to keep them in the house for lower humidity and less temperature change.

A bad day at the range is better than a good day at work.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Norfolk, Va | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My powder and primers are stored in the pantry with the dry goods and canned food. Cold & dark, and probably safer than the car (and 30 gallons of gas) in the garage.

One of Us
Picture of Kevin Rohrer
posted Hide Post
What the Craigster said. I keep mine on shelves in my basement, which has a temperature range year round of 55-70 degrees and humididity of 40-60%.

Member:
Orange Gunsite Family, NRA--Life, Varmint Hunters' Assn., ARTCA, and American Legion.

"An armed society is a polite society" --Robert Heinlein via Col. Jeff Cooper, USMC

Caveat Emptor: Don't trust *Cavery Grips* from Clayton, NC. He is a ripoff.

Posts: 479 | Location: Medina, Ohio USA | Registered: 30 January 2010Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Old refrigerators work great!

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Richard Wayne
posted Hide Post
Here in Canada you have to store your powder in 3/4 ply box, hinge's , hasp, screw's, and lock have to be made of brass.

Posts: 224 | Location: ontario,canada | Registered: 14 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do you have "gunpowder police" making periodic inspections?

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As Blacktail sez, get you a old fridge, lock a chain around it with enough slack to allow the door to open a couple of inches and you have a child proof, legal powder locker.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Two words, cool and dry. All you need to remember.

What he said! Cool, dry place.

I dont like storing my powder in the house though. I have a metal tool cabinet I keep my powder in in my reloading room. I wouldnt keep mine in a refrigerator, too much potential for moisture.

AK-47
The only Communist Idea that Liberals don't like.

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My question is at what temp should my powder be kept and does anyone make a stowage container for powder and primers.

Columbia,SC is one of the few places in the southeast that's hotter than Atlanta!

Question is, how long to you expect to store your powders and primers? For a couple of years it really won't matter. After that the effects of heat will begin to accumulate; heat always accelerates chemical detoriation while cold decreases it.

Ideal storage for very long term, meaning decades, would be to store both in a freezer but even that isn't absolutely neccessary. I still have some of Hodgedon's original surplus WW2 4831 I bought in '66 and it's in fine shape. Ditto some surplus small pistol primers from the same era, and both have been stored on open shelves in my detached garage with neither heat or cooling just a couple of hours drive north of you.

Components don't care a bit about varations, as such, but they do care about time at higher temperatures. Store your powder and primers in the factory containers in a coolish, dry place and they will last longer than you will care.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
My ideal was to get a ref. put a dehumidifier it Put the setting on high or what ever it took to stay between 60-70. This is probaly over kill but I do that all the time. Will this set up cause any problems with my coponents?

1 shot 1 thrill

One of Us
Picture of N51lDr1v3r
posted Hide Post
I use ammo cans for powder and primers! Adding a moisture indicator card and a good desiccant bag in each can, iv yet to have a problem with bad primers/powder with this method. you can buy the cards and desiccant on epay for little money.

Hand loads...... Never settle for OEM

Posts: 80 | Location: Sin City | Registered: 18 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
FWIW, in the bottom of my gun safes, I have a stocking with about a pound of plain rice in it. One of the best and cheapest desiccant "devices" I've found.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I was wondering about rice. As a kid growing up mom always put rice in the salt shaker. I have heard that charcoal will also work Confused guess I'll find an old fridge and give it a try just see what happens. If northing else I can use it for drinks. Like soneone said columbia can get a little uncomforable in the summer. Before I get slammed dunked I plan on storing the powder in sealable container "not be side my soda" AS always thanks everybody for your in put.

1 shot 1 thrill