New
Find
Notify
Tools

Switch to mag primers?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am wondering about switching to mag primers from std and match- type primers in my .25-06 I load mostly with H4831 and Re 19 and bullets in the 100-120 gr class. I am wondering if mag primers would be more suitable for the case capacity I have and if they might add a little more consistentcy. If anyone does recommend using mag primers how much, if at all should I back down my load to compensate? All of my current loads are at least short of book max by 1.5- 2 grs. I know that when I switched to mag primers in my .223 ackley that I gained some accuracy but I also use ball powders pretty much exclusively for that cartridge though. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Dog-duster

Posts: 61 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dog-duster:
If anyone does recommend using mag primers how much, if at all should I back down my load to compensate?

In my limited experience for my particular loads, none. The mag primer gives better ignition, it isn't used to "add umph". I shoot .270 and .300, large capacity cases compared to the .243 and other short cases. My experience was that they tightened groups in the loads I was using.

Posts: 36231 | Location: Laughing so hard I can barely type.  | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I've seen groups tighten with mag primers in the 6mm Remington.....I now use them in almost all large rifle applications.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, you may have opened a can of worms here, probably get lots of opinions.

In a 25-06 I use only standard primers when using powders like 4350, 4831, RL 19, etc. When loading IMR 7828 or RL 22 with heavy bullets (115 to 120 grains) I use only magnum primers. This just seems to work for me.

As a side note, I have always had best results when loading RL 19 if I use a standard primer, no matter what the cartridge. Even in my .338 Win Mag, I always got better accuracy and consistancy over the chronograph with RL 19 when I used a standard primer.

With a case the size of a 25-06 you probably will not see any gain using a magnum primer unless using very slow burning powder. If you do try magnum primers just drop the charge a grain or two and work back up.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am with Mr Flowers on this one . I have several rifles a 240 Wby a 25-06 and a 257 Wby in particular that shoot much better groups with std primers when I use RL series powder.Even the 257 W and rl 25 performs better in my rifle with the std Win primer.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dog-duster, been loading for 25-06 for some time now, when using IMR type cylindrical powers I have always used Standard Primer. Most Powders are designed with the ignition rate predetermined; this is not to say that ignition rate and efficient powder burn for some powders designed for Standard Primer can't be improved on when loading cases with large capacity with Mag. Primers, which in some cases is preferred. But in Standard capacity cases and with powders designed for ignition rates for Standard Primer the benefit would be suspect. In any case, a warning should go along with any component change not documented. Changing from Standard Primer to Mag. Primer in a load designed for Standard Primer could be dangerous to your health and well being of your Firearm. If you are going to change from Standard Primer to Mag. Primer be sure to reduce your Powder load at least 10%, and then work up your load, observing signs of obvious increase excessive pressure.

[ 12-03-2003, 21:09: Message edited by: ChoPPeR ]

Posts: 11761 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 26 November 2002Reply With Quote