New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for M600 in 350 Rem Mag???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I recently started shooting a Rem M600 in 350 Remington Mag. I was given some reloaded shells(from good source) that are loaded with 54 gr of IMR 4320, 250 gr Speer sptizers', and CCI mag primers. With this load I can shoot 1 inch groups on a good day(sometimes with 2 shots in same hole).

I am wondering if I will get better accuracy with a different powder or bullet? Should I stay with this load or shold I try some IMR 4895 or Hodgon 380??? Maybe with some 225 gr bullets as well(maybe some Nosler partitions or Sierra Boat tails)???

I have 150 rounds of brass so I guess I could probably try a bunch of different loads???

Posts: 37 | Location: canada | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
You have basically answered your own question!

The keyword in your message was "try", and that is the only way you are going to find out if there is something better.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I guess your right....

I was just hoping there were some M600 Carbine users out there who could give me some of their pet loads so I wouldn't waste any time or money.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corey006:
...1. With this load I can shoot 1 inch groups on a good day(sometimes with 2 shots in same hole).

2. I am wondering if I will get better accuracy with a different powder or bullet?

3. Should I stay with this load or shold I try some IMR 4895 or Hodgon 380???

4....I guess I could probably try a bunch of different loads???

Hey corey,

1. Nice shooting.

2. It will be difficult to improve on that Load, but the only way to know for sure is to try different combinations in your specific rifle.

3. Only comment I have here is to stick with "Single Base Powders". They will have considerably less muzzle flash than the Double Base Powders in the short barrel of your rifle.

4. I agree with Steve.

There is a misconception floating around this Board that there are some Loads that work perfectly in rifles of the same caliber, aka MUC Loads. If you want the "best accuracy" in your specific rifle, there are no shortcuts - you have to actually develop your own Loads.

One final thought, buy a set of Sonic Ear Valves to wear when you actually hunt with your 350RemMag. NEVER fire the rifle while hunting without them in your ears. The constant ringing is no fun at all and is easily avoided for about $8.

Check with www.remington.com to see if your particular rifle is part of the Trigger Recall on some of those older models.

Best of luck to you. Looks like you have a fine rifle.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have contacted Remington about the trigger recall some time ago. They told me to phone them but I haven't got around to it yet. I will probably give them a shout tomorrow.

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Think you will find that the Sierra BT may be too long for the .350Rem mag. Sounds like you have a good load already and the Speer 250gr. bullet has a good reputation at that velocity range. Shoot something big this fall and get back to us.
PS

I always wanted one of those 600's.
Pretty expensive down here these days, and Remington quit making brass for it recently but thats not a problem if you a experienced handloader.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I just picked up 100 rounds for 60 bucks CAD. If brass is going to be discontinued should I buy some more.....maybe.

<Fireplug>
posted
I have been using my M600 .350 RM for about fifteen years and have settled on a load not too different from the one you are shooting, 250gr Speer and 51 grains of 3031, for my general purpose load with very similar results. One thing to consider with these light but powerful carbines is that powder weight has a big influence on recoil, and you can help your shoulder (ears too) by using the fastest burning powder for the lighter charge that delivers the velocity and accuracy you want.

Do not miss out on the great versatility that the happy coincidence of .357 handgun bullets being useable for reduced loads. I load hardcast 158 grainers at 1550 fps for small game, pine cones, and to let girls feel good that they shot "that cute little loud one". They seldom catch on that their load was different, and they often do not know enough about rifles to know that it is actually quite ugly.

Have fun they are very useful guns.

Fireplug

<338Lapua>
posted
I don't know about the discontinued brass, I just bought some from Midway in Sept, it was backordered for about two weeks, but I got it. Around $36 a hundred.

Jim

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corey006:
If brass is going to be discontinued should I buy some more.....maybe.

Hey corey, If you see a good deal on new unfired cases, get 200-300 more and you will be well covered for a very long time. I think I got 300 when I bought my 350RemMag and have not lost a single one yet. But, part of that is dependant upon how well your chamber and your resizing die match up.

I Partial-Full Length Resize so that the bolt closes on an empty case with just a bit of resistance. This means it is a slight crush-fit in the chamber and eliminates any possibility of headspace concerns resulting in casehead separations.

Anneal the necks after every 5 reloads.

If you decide to form 350RemMag cases from other Belted Magnum cases, it can be done without much trouble. You will need to trim them down a good bit which is time consuming. And anneal them prior to the first shot. Be sure to use "Imperial Sizing Die Wax" for this operation since it makes the reforming easier than other lubricants.

For some strange reason, it seems that some Belted Mag cases work better than others for reforming. I've had real good luck reforming Winchester 338WinMag cases into 350RemMag. Perhaps it was just lot specific, but those worked better than others for me.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<338Lapua>
posted

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replys guys. I will be using it for late season Moose up here and will let you know how it performs.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey, you won't be disappointed. I've had two of these rifles (350 RM's) and they both worked great. the Speer is a great bullet for the velocities you're going to get, and I've never seen a moose get back up after being well hit with one. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Can anyone reccommend a short 225 gr bullet that will work well with the short action of the 600 and not use up valuable space on the case. These 250 gr are seated very low.

I was thinking of 225 Nosler Partition or Siera 225 BT. Anyone ever use Swift A-Frame???

P.S

I plan to pick up one of 700 Classics loaded in 350 Rem Mag if I can ever find one???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Corey, I just took a look at what I have on hand. These are "approximate" lengths since I only measured a few.

225gr Nosler Partition = 1.170"
225gr Sierra = 1.155"

So, you can compare them to the 250gr Speers you are using. I'm guessing that the magazine length of 2.800" of your M600 will be your limiting factor as it is in my 350RemMag M7KS. Of course, the usable length will be slightly less to ensure proper feeding.

By the way, I understand your desire to go with the heavier bullets on the Game you are hunting. Just wanted to mention I've had extremely good performance with the 200gr Hornady SPs (Part# 3510) at 358Win velocities on Black Bear, Hogs and Deer. The same bullet in my 350RemMag runs a good bit faster and also works great on Deer.

Speaking of Hornady, they used to make a 250gr RN that is "relatively short" compared to the same weight in a SP form. Not sure what the length is on them cause I don't have any on hand. But, they might be a bullet you would want to consider since you have had good luck with the 250gr SP Speer Hot-Cors.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ya the magazine length requires that you seat the longer bullets deeper(into the powder column). That is why I hope that I can get my hands on a M700 in 350 RMag.

Has anyone ever seen or tried the 350 Rem Mag in a Ruger rifle???

one of us
posted Hide Post
Corey, one of my 350 RM's is built on a Mauser 98 length action. This is perfect for the 350 (and yes, the 350 does beat the 35 whelen in this action length) as you can seat the bullets out as far as you want. 2600-2700 fps is easily done with 250 gr bullets (depending on barrel length) which puts you right into 338 WM territory with a larger diameter bullet (some of us think this is better, also). - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you build the rifle or did you buy it that way? Sounds like a perfect Elk or Moose rifle.

<Fireplug>
posted
The M70 short action is also longer than other shorts and allows enough extra length to get the most from the .350 RM.

The Speer Grand Slam is a shorter 250 grain option, due to its' slightly flatened profile.

Fireplug