Find
Notify
Tools

Safety Check: IMR 7828 in 270
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted
I just loaded up some 270 loads last night with IMR 7828. I checked the load data at least 3 times. The loads seam to fill the case pretty high, well up to the neck. What makes me nervous is this isn't listed as a compressed load. Anyone else notice this?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
While I haven't loaded 7828 in the 270, my experience is that slow burning powders in the 270 (H4821 & RL-22) will fill the case and be compressed. Since 7828 is even slower I would expect to find compressed loads. Without looking at data I would also expect to not be able to achieve max velocities in the 270 with 7828. I have used many compressed loads in the 270 (some very compressed) without any problems even in very warm (90+) weather.

Posts: 664 | Location: NW Colorado | Registered: 10 December 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wafaring,

You don't give enough information to make a call. What bullet weight are you loading and what is your charge weight? IMR7828 is a very slow powder and easily fills the 270 case so moderately compressed loads are not unusual especially with heavy bullets. We've loaded it with 150 grain bullets and while I don't have the exact charge weight in front of me, I do remember that they were compressed loads. IMR7828 is an excellent powder especially in larger cases. We have found the IMR 7828 SSC version to be easier to meter and tends to compact in the case better. You should go to the IMR Web site for load information.
IMR Loading Data
Good luck
Paul

"Diligentia - Vis - Celeritas"
NRA Benefactor Member
Member DRSS

Posts: 1026 | Location: Southeastern PA, USA | Registered: 14 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayfaring Stranger:
I just loaded up some 270 loads last night with IMR 7828. I checked the load data at least 3 times. The loads seam to fill the case pretty high, well up to the neck. What makes me nervous is this isn't listed as a compressed load. Anyone else notice this?

IMO, IMR 7828 is at least as slow as H4831. Therefore it will take quite a lot of it to get the .270 up to reasonable pressures & velocities! So it is no wonder that the right loads will be compressed!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I don't own a 270 (what is that?) but I have used 7828 in slightly compressed loads in 30-06/180gr loads & 280/160gr loads.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Wayfaring Stranger:

Nosler list IMR-7828 for the 270 and I assume your loading pretty close to max 57.5gr/IMR-7828 and they list it at around 96/97% load density. If you pour the powder alittle slower you will be appr bottom of neck or try longer drop tube. I noticed the new Speer manual #14 has loads using IMR-7828 for the 270 and has 58gr marked as a compressed load. Well good luck

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I remember noticing that the Speer manual I have listed 7828 as a top velocity producer with their 130 grain bullet if I remember correctly.

If you are going to use this powder, it would be interesting to see what, if any, difference it would make if you use a magnum primer.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
I shot 7828 for years with a 140 gr Hornady boatail in my 270. Can't remember the exact weight offhand but it was a compressed load. I could put my finger over the case mouth and shake it down a little but it was still compressed when I seated that bullet. And FWIW, I used a magnum primer. But if that load calls for a standard primer be sure to back down some if you switch. That will jump pressure for sure.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11142 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wayfaring Stranger
posted Hide Post
The load is 60 gr with a hornady 130 gr SP. The load is from IMR/Hodgon websight. I did notce some other books list the max a bit lower, but I had no pressure signs getting there.

The reason I ask is I tested a bunch of loads several months ago but didn't record whether the load was compressed or not.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If the 270 won't do it the .338 will, if the 338 won't I can't afford the hunt!

Posts: 320 | Location: Montgomery, Texas | Registered: 29 October 2007Reply With Quote