New
Find
Notify
Tools

7x64
 Login/Join

posted
Dear Sirs!

I am absolutely new to this forum. I would like to start reloading 7x64, but I haven�t found the data for 150/175gr Remington CORE-LOKT bullets. Could you help me? What is your favourite loads and bullets? Why? Do you have any other comments? Thanks in advance!

Posts: 7 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Maybe someone else will have a better idea, but you should be able to use .280 Remington data alright.

Ditto:

Any dimentional differences are too small to matter much

Use starting data for .280 Rem.

The 7X64 is loaded to higher pressure (60,190psi) than the .280 as the later was developed for use in autoloaders.

"Quickload" data shows powders such as VV N560, XMR4350, IMR4350 etc. giving velocities slightly over 3000fps with 139gr Hornady SST @ this pressure level.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all your replies!

I started looking around for components and have another question, should I use a slow powders such N-160 and Magnum primers with 175gr bullet and why or why not?

Thanks in advance!

Posts: 7 | Location: Czech Republic | Registered: 05 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded for a .280 a lot and never found a need for using a magmum primer. I was loading 4350/4831/7828 and powders of that ilk. Heaviest bullet was a 160.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Powders in the burn-range of N-160 will work well in a case the size of the 7x64. It has been my "do it all" powder for mid-size cases for quite a while. You can go slower in the burn-rate, should you desire to do so, and end up with powders like Norma MRP, RWS R905, RL22 (basically all the same powder). You *might* find the slower powder to give you slightly higher velocities with bullets as heavy as 175 grs, but then again, unless you have access to a chronograph, you'll never know actual velocities and may happily shoot N160 loads for the remainder of your life. The animals won't know the difference, that is for sure. I'd probably choose based on achievable accuracy, price and availability of components.

I don't think I'd choose a powder much faster than N160 for bullets as heavy 175 grs - slower if anything.

I personally don't see the need to use magnum primers in a case the size of the 7x64. The magnum primers give you a hotter burn, which may be an advantage when you want to ignite large amounts of powder. I see little problems with igniting the less than 60 grs of powders that will fit into the 7x64 case with standard primers. Others may have different ideas. Be aware that the choice of primers (in particular magnum vs. non-magnum) has a profound effect on pressure. Should you decide to switch from non-magnum to magnum, you'll have to start from below again.

Good luck.

- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Welcome Petr, the .280 & 7x64 are so close you can use loading data for both. They are slightly overbore so slower powders will give you the best results, usually. I like 160gr bullets for allround use in my .280. Standard primers work well, but nothing wrong w/ magnum primers if they give you an accuracy advantage, just be carefull when switching any components after you have worked up a load. Good shooting.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PaulH
posted Hide Post
This is the only load I use for deer in my Cz550 7x64. It is extremely accurate in my rifle.

Bullet;150NBT
Powder;IMR4350
Primer;CCI250
Charge;55gr
Case;RP
OAL;3.35
Avg Vel;2850

Posts: 218 | Location: Liquid Sunshine State | Registered: 12 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
My std. load for the 7x64 uses N160/56.0 behind a 160 gn bullet. I insist on CCI 250 primers as I experience vertical elongation of my groups with std. primers (actually, your own rifle will tell). This load is not max and clocks at 858 m" (2815 ft"). For Roe deer I use the Sierra 160 SPBT GK but switch to the harder 160 HPBT GK if heavier game is to be encountered (same POI and accuracy). About accuracy, these loads shoot < .5 MOA out of my Sauer 202.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of wildcat junkie
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Thanks for all your replies!

I started looking around for components and have another question, should I use a slow powders such N-160 and Magnum primers with 175gr bullet and why or why not?

Thanks in advance!

I use Norma MRP with CCI Magnum primers. The magnum primers do not increase velocity (pressure?), but they do give more consistant velocity.

I get a little better than 3100fps with 139gr Hornady Interbonds from a 22" barrel.

Since you will probably be using slow powders with the 175gr bullet, maybe magnum primers would work for you also.

Posts: 2440 | Location: Northern New York, WAY NORTH | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote