Notify
Tools

300 Win Mag for deer
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted
Dear Sirs,
I want to reload my new 300 Win Mag with 165g bullets (probably Nosler accubond) for long range red deer hunting. I take a look on Nosler and Sierra manuals and sea that Reloader 22 can be a good choise for this combination.
Off course at long range target accuracy is very important, but speed have also.
Have anyone experience that can help me???
Thanks
Faina

I prefer to die standing that to live in knee

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
165 Accubonds under 77gr of RL-22 is my load for my 300 Winchester Sendero. With 180s I back down to 75.5gr of RL-22.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, What he said. My rifle shoots the 180's alot better though

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot a Remington 700 300 Win Mag and it loves 165 grn Sciroccos with 75 grns of RL 22. I have also used RL 19 and that worked really well. It shoots 180 bullets the same but at +300 yards the 165s travel a little better.

I shot 180 grn Barnes on my Africa trip and all bullets went right through every animal with no blood trail to follow. I wish I would have stuck with the 165 Sciroccos.

Posts: 396 | Location: CA | Registered: 23 October 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
R22 will give you great speed, but your rifle may not have great accuracy with it.

H4831 and IMR4350 are great choices as well. If the R22 doesn't give you the accuracy you're after, may want to give one of those a try.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Food for thought:

The heavier bullets usually have higher ballisstic coefficients which can make long shots a little easier.

Posts: 43 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 07 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
IMO RL-22 is the first powder to try in 300 Mags. It's one of the most accurate and forgiving powders you can reload with. I prefer 180gr bullets in the 300 Win Mag but I'd still try it first if I were going to use 165's.................................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
IMO RL-22 is the first powder to try in 300 Mags. It's one of the most accurate and forgiving powders you can reload with. I prefer 180gr bullets in the 300 Win Mag but I'd still try it first if I were going to use 165's.................................DJ

Ditto what he said. I've also found that the few rifles that didn't like RL-22 liked IMR 7828. IMHO, Nosler's 180grain p.pt. partition is still a #1 bullet choice for the 300 Win mag.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd expect that 180s would range better too due to a greatly increased ballistic coefficient. Muzzle velocity isn't what gets the game, it's the placement of the shot and terminal perfomance that does the trick.

NRA Life Member
testa virtus magna minimum

Posts: 345 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Thank you for so many helpfull answer.
I think I try both 165 & 180g to find what give me better accuracy results, without to look at speed. BOOM
Faina

Posts: 181 | Location: Italy ... in the mountains | Registered: 03 November 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rl- 22 is a little faster than H-1000 for me. But they both work well w/180's

Windage and elevation, Mrs. Langdon, windage and elevation...

Posts: 944 | Location: michigan | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
According to some of the members of this board whose opinions are highly regarded by themselves, the 300 Win Mag with a 180g. is a totally ineffective round for deer. Let's not even talk about taking a head shot with a pipsqeak round like the 300 Win Mag.

The only acceptable round for deer is the 460 Wby. Mag using a 500g at around 2600 fps. Remember you must have respect for the animal.

The 460 will also help you avoid that terrible lable of a "recoil pussy". It pumps out around 100 ft. pounds of recoil energy as compared to the marginal 300 Win Mag's of only 25 ft. pounds of recoil energy.

Also remember the only acceptable shot placement is a "Carolina Heart Shot". This little know placement is similiar to the Texas heart shot.

In light of the gems offered on this board I would think you will need to sell the 300 and start the search for the 460; remember howeverthat the 460 can also double as varmint round with the lighter 400g bullets. Happy shooting.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Faina:
Dear Sirs,
I want to reload my new 300 Win Mag with 165g bullets (probably Nosler accubond) for long range red deer hunting. I take a look on Nosler and Sierra manuals and sea that Reloader 22 can be a good choise for this combination.
Off course at long range target accuracy is very important, but speed have also.
Have anyone experience that can help me???
Thanks
Faina

Norma MRP1, RE22, H4831, and IMR 7828 are all very good in the .300 WM with 165-grain bullets as well as heavier ones. I'm sure there are other good slow European powders for this cartridge as well, but I have not used them.

The Accubond is getting a very good reputation for accuracy as well as great terminal performance on game.

Good luck!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TEANCUM:
According to some of the members of this board whose opinions are highly regarded by themselves, the 300 Win Mag with a 180g. is a totally ineffective round for deer. Let's not even talk about taking a head shot with a pipsqeak round like the 300 Win Mag.

The only acceptable round for deer is the 460 Wby. Mag using a 500g at around 2600 fps. Remember you must have respect for the animal.

The 460 will also help you avoid that terrible lable of a "recoil pussy". It pumps out around 100 ft. pounds of recoil energy as compared to the marginal 300 Win Mag's of only 25 ft. pounds of recoil energy.

Also remember the only acceptable shot placement is a "Carolina Heart Shot". This little know placement is similiar to the Texas heart shot.

In light of the gems offered on this board I would think you will need to sell the 300 and start the search for the 460; remember howeverthat the 460 can also double as varmint round with the lighter 400g bullets. Happy shooting.

TEANCUM,

He's talking about European Red Deer, (hirsch!)which are a lot like a smaller version of our elk. These stags can top 400-450 pounds, and are much harder to kill than a caribou of like weight! A GREAT trophy animal, too! A 300 Win Mag is not out of place for such game, especially at ranges of 300 meters and more!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 30378:
165 Accubonds under 77gr of RL-22 is my load for my 300 Winchester Sendero. With 180s I back down to 75.5gr of RL-22.

Yup, I load the same for 180s, and load 72grs for 190s, both awesome loads. Id never suggest using 165s for the 300WM. Jay

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by El Deguello:
quote:

TEANCUM,

He's talking about European Red Deer, (hirsch!)which are a lot like a smaller version of our elk. These stags can top 400-450 pounds, and are much harder to kill than a caribou of like weight! A GREAT trophy animal, too! A 300 Win Mag is not out of place for such game, especially at ranges of 300 meters and more!

El Deguello

Sorry to mislead you. My posting was completely tongue in cheek intend for others who feel "called" to correct any statement that doesn't coincide with their opinion.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

That is just the kind of totally ignorant and foolish information we can expect from this poster. He knows as little about firearms as anyone I've ever seen post. Pitiful!
-----

Hey Faina, The 165gr should do fine for you, but I prefer the 180gr in the 30calMags. I've not used the Accubond so I can't comment on it. However, I have used a whole bunch of the old Ballistic Tips on Deer at l-o-n-g distances and they performed great.

If you Guesstimate the range of distances you anticipate your shots, you can also Guesstimate the potential Impact Velocity by looking in the Exterior Ballistic Tables in the back of your Bullet Manuals. From that you can then take a look at Mr. Gary Sciuchetti's Best Bullet Test and get a very good idea how the various Bullets will perform on Game. Mr. Sciuchetti's Test was done prior to the Accubond Bullets being manufactured, so there will not be information about them.
-----

Practicing at long distance will teach you the most important lessons.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Faina
posted Hide Post
Hot Core: Mr. Scichetti's test is VERY usefull for all hunters like me. It's incredible long and accurate test, this confirm me some ideas that I have about hunting bullets.
Many thanks for your info
Faina dancing

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your welcome. There are a couple of folks on the Board besides me that have noticed a lot of similarities on Game with the same Bullets. Of course, a person can site a few examples where they did not perform the same, but overall I(we) think of it as quite useful.

By the way, I always encourage folks to look at how well the "old design" Remington RN performed. It appears to be the old Wasp Waist design that they quit making. The current 180gr RN Remingtons just don't work as well as it did. But, they have a lot of new designs that work great.

Best of luck with your Bullet selection.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:
quote:

That is just the kind of totally ignorant and foolish information we can expect from this poster. He knows as little about firearms as anyone I've ever seen post. Pitiful!
-----

Hey Faina, The 165gr should do fine for you, but I prefer the 180gr in the 30calMags. I've not used the Accubond so I can't comment on it. However, I have used a whole bunch of the old Ballistic Tips on Deer at l-o-n-g distances and they performed great.

If you Guesstimate the range of distances you anticipate your shots, you can also Guesstimate the potential Impact Velocity by looking in the Exterior Ballistic Tables in the back of your Bullet Manuals. From that you can then take a look at Mr. Gary Sciuchetti's Best Bullet Test and get a very good idea how the various Bullets will perform on Game. Mr. Sciuchetti's Test was done prior to the Accubond Bullets being manufactured, so there will not be information about them.
-----

Practicing at long distance will teach you the most important lessons.

Best of luck to you.

Hey Pitiful.. sorry Hot Cor

Are you sure you don't concur with me on the use of the 460 Wby. Mag?? It doesn't fall into the catagory of "Inadequate Caliber" does it. Afterall we all know the only author of that lable is.........wait a sec, the only one who can make that determination is you!!!!! PITIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!! also PATHETIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I must be the first to apologize, I gave you credit for enough horsesense to recognize scarcasim from reality. MY BAD!!!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...I must be the first to apologize, I gave you credit for enough horsesense to recognize scarcasim from reality. MY BAD!!!!
Nope, no "sarcasm to" it. The poster simply doesn't know Beans and proves it with each post he makes.

I have finally seen something in a post of his I can partially agree with, but it is out of place and should stand alone - his posts sure are BAD!!!!. But it would actually be more correct to say simply pitiful.