New
Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x72Rmm reloading data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
anyone have the loading data for the 9.3x72Rmm 193 grain lead bullet I have IMR 4198,4064,4227and 4350 on hand plus black powder. I am not adverse to buying other powder. it is for an older hammer drilling.

One of Us
Picture of drhall762
posted Hide Post
The guidance I have always received, I have an old drilling as well, is to use .35 Remington data and go from there.

Dave

In 100 years who of us will care?
An armed society is a polite society!
Just because they say you are paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you.

Posts: 899 | Location: Ammon, NC | Registered: 31 December 2013Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post

Posts: 16 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: 20 September 2015Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Nakihunter
posted Hide Post
John Barsness wrote an article on this caliber about 8 years (?) ago. He picked up a DR or a Drilling, I do not recall the exact details.

You may be able to find it in an old Rifle or Handloader magazine.

IIRC the bullet is actually a .358 cal & NOT a 9.3 / .366

"When the wind stops....start rowing. When the wind starts, get the sail up quick."

Posts: 11246 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 02 July 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I have used .358 jacketed bullets and 35 remington data since 1981 and they work fine.

Posts: 17290 | Location: USA | Registered: 02 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
dcpd:
this is a sauer hammer drilling of around 1903 there isn't nitro proofs just Krupp steel on the shotgun barrels it is a 9.3x72r proprietary cart. and the bore mics .365 I have 193gr. lead bullets for it all I need is a load. I have BP FFg,FFFg imr4064,4198,4227,4350 but find myself out of 3031 but can purchase it. took quite a job to form the brass from reg. 9.3x72 then fire form. any help will be appreciated.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
Very strange that a drilling made in 1903 is not Nitro proved. In that case, shoot it with black powder only. I see now, it is not a regular 9.3x72. Use 2 or 3FG bp. Or a case full of slow burning smokeless, none of the fast ones. I would not bother; this is not like shooting straight walled BP cartridges for which we have lots of pressure data, and they respond well to smokeless loads. I would use BP,if it is really a BP gun.
I am sure a load of 5744 could be worked up, but "working up" loads in drillings is not a good thing. What I am saying is there is no data base to start from. From which to start.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
dcpd:
well it is crown over U so it is black powder I just looked it up. what does this 2 or 3FG equate to?

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
A case full of either, with a card wad and a grease wad. Or,it would be ok to load up to ten percent of 5744, or equivalent to burn out the fouling. I use that technique all the time, but do not go over 10 percent of the BP weight.

One of Us
Picture of dpcd
posted Hide Post
I use Goex Cartridge in all my BP cartridges, with ten percent of 5744 as a duplex load; no fouling at all. Card wad.