New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet problems in my 22-250
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is anyone out there shooting 40 or 45gr bullets out of their 1/14 twist 22-250s? I ask this for a reason. I've been trying different 50gr bullets in mine and it seems to hate the premium bullets. Doesn't make sense to me. I've put 50gr Nosler BTs, V-Max and Blitzkings through it and none of them show any consistency. Same thing with all 55s. However, the minute I shoot the plain Jane Sierra Varminter, it drops in to 1/2MOA. The other bullets are much longer than the Varminters, so could it be that my rifle can't get the bullets stabilized as well? Do you think dropping weight will help? I know some will say stick with the Varminters and don't worry about it. I probably will, but it really bugs me hearing how some folks get at least 1MOA with anything they put through their varmint rigs and I really have only one bullet to choose from. Plus, I can't just accept that "the gun just likes the Varminters" as an explanation. I need more than that. BTW, the gun is a Winchester Heavy Varmint.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Unless you are shooting reduced velocity loads; the 55 grains should be well stabilized in a 22-250. I would look elsewhere for the culprit. Are you full length or neck sizing? What Dies? have you varied powder weights? Changed seating depths? etc. The sierra varminter should not be considered a "plain jane" for accuracy; as the Sierra line typically is noted for accuracy.

[ 09-11-2003, 07:10: Message edited by: Old & Slow ]

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I gotta be honest. I stopped trying to load for my 22-250 (T/C Encore Rifle). I bought a box of the Winchester 45 gr HP at Wally World, $17/40 rds. The rifle really likes them. I tried B-Tips, V-Max, Sierra's, Speers, about 1/2 doz. powders and nothing shoots like those Winchesters. I lost patience. Of course if you are shooting a lot I would keep searching but I don't use that barrel a great deal (I'm on my third box of the Win this year) so it is worth it to me just to buy 'em. And I have more time to play with the other rifles [Big Grin] Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Okay, sounds like you found the load but want a bullet with a pretty colored tip. [Smile]

I'd try playing with the seating depth in .015" increments. And try Federal match primers. Those are the first two remedies I reach for.

If no luck on the 50grainers, try the 55s. They should stabilize if you keep the velocity healthy.

Seriously that Varminter will do the same thing as the other bullets on varmints. Count yourself fortunate you found a half-minute load. I'd tweak seating depth .010" on both sides and look for improvement but wouldn't be disappointed at all if there was none unless it was a high dollar barrel.

[ 09-11-2003, 08:23: Message edited by: steve y ]

Posts: 612 | Location: Atlanta, GA USA | Registered: 19 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. Believe me, it's not that I want to shoot fancy bullets. I like the varminter. It just doesn't make sense to me that there is so much variation between bullets. I have played with 4 different powders, varied seating depth and charge weights and get roughly the same results. Do you think switching to a magnum primer might help? I've always used the CCI large rifle.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jethro, howdy from the BWI area.

I noticed that among your bullet selections, you have had difficulty with a series of bullets having in common a tapered base, almost a boattail configuration.

The bullet that happened to give you best accuracy was a square base. This phenomenon can indicate a worn muzzle crown. Maybe you could try another style square base bullet to prove it out, perhaps a match-grade.

I have had several .22-250's with both 12 & 14" twist and have been able to stabilize everything up to and including Sierra's 63 and Speer's 70 in both rates. I wouldn't expect bullet weight to be the main influence here. I have had great accuracy results with Sierra's 60HP.

You have a PM.

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is odd that your gun will not shoot the new fancy tipped bullets, but you never know what a barrel will like.

I have a rather expensive custom barrel on my latest 22-250 and it will not shoot anything over 50 grains worth a damn! I have checked and rechecked and it is a 1 in 14 inch twist. With some of the plastic tipped 55 grain bullets it even keyholes. Put 40 or 50 grain bullets in it and some Varget and it shoots quite well.

But back to your situation. I am here to tell you that if I had a gun rifle that shot best with the Sierra 50 grain Varminter I would shoot it and be happy as hell. This latest barrel I just mentioned only shoots them around an inch, while it keeps Nosler BT 50 grainers close to a half inch all the time.

I have shot literally thousands of the Sierra 50 grain Varminter bullets and they are a great performer. They turn ground squirrels and prairie dogs inside out. They are, in my opinion, about the best coyote bullet out of a 22-250 that there is. I have shot lots of coyotes with them and they almost never exit and the coyotes hit the dirt!

So you have it both ways. Your rifle is shooting quite well and you are saving lots of money on bullets. (When compared to buying the plastic tipped wonders.)

I had an interesting talk with one of the guys at Sierra a while back. We pretty much agreed that while all these new fancy bullets are what is selling right now, the old tried and true bullets still work just fine.

R F

Posts: 1220 | Location: Hanford, CA, USA | Registered: 12 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey jethro, check your PM. [Smile]

Posts: 588 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 08 April 2003Reply With Quote