New
Find
Notify
Tools

best brass
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
This one should get you going. I know when it comes to brass some have alegances to one or the other. I am under the impression that some, Rem and Win., in certain calibers produce a better product than the other. Example, in 22-250 Ack. have used both for this application and found the win product to be better. By the same token have used Rem brass for certain calibers and found it to be a better product. Here is my question in magnum brass mainly 7 STW which one have you guys found to be more consistent, better quality, more reloads out of, Rem. or Win Need to get 200 + cases and can't aford to buy a bunch of each to figure it out. So I'm trying to save time, money, and hair( don't have a lot of the last one) in figuring it out. Help is appreciated, Thanks. [Smile]

[ 01-07-2003, 22:18: Message edited by: outlawsix ]

Posts: 330 | Location: Picayune, Ms | Registered: 03 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Come on somebody must have an opinion between rem and win for magnum brass.

one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
Brass can vary from lot to lot from all domestic
manufacturers. I had great lots from all of them and bad lots as well. I've had best luck with Frontier brass from Hornady for belted magnums for which they sell it. Some are made for them by Remington and others by Winchester to their specs. You just have to roll the dice when you buy any brass. I've had better luck with Winchester of the 'name' manufacturers but the next guy can say the reverse and also be accurate.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I would pick Winchester brass over Remington. Although Winchester brass appears to be fairly thin (and thus lighter), it holds up very well for many reloads. Many people report that Remington brass tends to wear out sooner. Now if you really want to spend some money, then check out Laupa brass. A lot of reloaders consider it to be the best brass around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The brass in question is for the 7 STW. So far the only two manufactures I can buy brass from in this round is Win. and Rem.. Have used once fired win nickle plated brass and it was alright but thought that it hardened too soon. using 73.5 gr IMR -7828, nosler starting load, was only able to reload 4 times before the cases got way too hard to size. At that I was only neck sizing so it wasn't beceause I overworked the cases. Don't know if it was the nickle that made them harder or not so will be going the plain brass cases the next round and see what happens. Have evn heard that Fed brass is good but haven't found any for sale other than the loaded factory rounds. At that they are suppose to stop selling component brass. If Laupua sold the 7 STW cases I would be all over it but alas they don't so the question remains, Rem. or Win? Thanks.

<FarRight>
posted
I don't know which is best. However, right now I am using mixed brass and the rumors are true. It doesn't do anything for accuracy, velocity, or confidence in your reloads. I am going to standardize this summer. I have heard alot of good things about Win brass and Fed 215 primers so that is what I am going with for my 7 Rem Mag--this and hopefully a Nosler 160 grain Accubond.
It would be easy enough to find out in your case simply by purchasing a small batch of each and finding the one that offers the best velocity or accuracy.