New
Find
Notify
Tools

308 norma brass lose accuracy why?
 Login/Join

Picture of Gaha2556
posted
My striker loves R.P. plated 308 win brass 47.5gr of 748 125 gr Nosler Bt 1/2 to 3/4 At 100yds Bought 500 norma brass using same data as above group opened up 1 to 2 inches at 100 yds. Any ideas, annealng, softer brass,help!!!!! I have heard nothing but good about Norma brass

Posts: 15 | Location: western mn | Registered: 05 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My single experience with Norma wasn't that great but basically you have to find out what is different about the Norma brass compared to what you've been using.
Since the Norma went south on you have you tried any of the old stuff just to make sure it's the brass??

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
Picture of Gaha2556
posted Hide Post
Shot the RP same day shot great again

one of us
posted Hide Post
You might reload the Norma brass and see if it performs better the second time after fireforming to your chamber.

Do trim it to the same length as the Rem brass.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Brass that gives a larger neck diameter can be more accurate. Firing and reloading can make a difference if the new brass has its shoulder pushed back a lot, leaving a lot of slop in the chamber. Plus a difference in case weight/volume can change pressure, requiring working up a new load.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i'd check the neck thickness to make sujre it isn't to thick & then reload it and try. not at all uncommon for new brass to act differently than after its been fired a time or 2

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Gaha2556
posted Hide Post
The RP brass was new Norma brass was once fired

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
There is a good chance that the Norma brass will have a larger capacity than the RP if so the same load that works in the RP may or may not work in the Norma. In 280 brass the Norma capcity is about 6% larger. Never checked the 308Norma brass.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Gaha2556
posted Hide Post
Paul if I fill both cases full of the same powder then weigh the powder from each case would this tell me this and should I do it, repeating several times with different cases? How did you come up with percentage?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
That will come close enough for gov't work. especially if you use something like H414 or H335. A ball powder is what I'm saying.
Have you contacted Norma? You could have a lot of shoddy brass.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
That will come close enough for gov't work. especially if you use something like H414 or H335. A ball powder is what I'm saying

+1 tu2 As to precentage I simply divided the norma capacity by the RP capacity. I used water but a fine grain powder would work fine.

Simple test in QL raising the capacity by 6% or 3 grs dropped the velocity about 60fps and the pressure about 4000.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've never seen a brass change yield that kind of accuracy change, never. It could be softer brass, lop sided necks, improper headspace in the new brass vs once fired. Try them again.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Gaha2556
posted Hide Post
Im going to reload both kinds of brass and try again I do think the Norma brass is a lot softer than the nickle plated RP brass what would happen to the Norma brass if I annealed it? Would the neck harden up?

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I annealed it? Would the neck harden up

Nope wrong direction it will be softer. It will get harder from working it. As in firing and resizing.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
Picture of 44magLeo
posted Hide Post
You say the Norma brass was once fired, was it once fired in your rifle? You might wan't to segregate the Norma brass by weight. I bought some once fired 270 Win brass. Weight varied from 197 grains to 203. I sorted into lots by 1 grain. Most was 201. Out of 300 cases 120 at 201, 80 at 200, 20 at 202, the rest were above and below those weights.
The different weights represent different case capacities. Keeping the cases sorted by weight will keep the cases of different capacities together. This will help accuracy.
The Norma maybe from several lots. Your RP brass maybe all one lot. minimizing the variables is one part of accuracy.

The only way to know if you can do a thing is to do it.

Posts: 317 | Location: Lebanon NY | Registered: 08 February 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Never had that prob with Norma once fired. FL size and try again! if not send it my way! ha

Posts: 155 | Location: mississippi | Registered: 24 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The first time that I used Norma in comparison to RP brass I had trouble as well with the same load. What I found in my research is the Norma brass is a lot thicker so the same powder charge is a lot hotter.
I primed two cases and weighed them and then filled with water and weighed them and the Norma brass volume is much less than the RP. With Norma you have to reduce your load.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Gaha2556
posted Hide Post
makes sense,I'll try reducing loads thanks guys

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
makes sense,I'll try reducing loads thanks guys

Why not simply measure the difference in volume and eliminate the guess work? If you don't want to fool with water use a fine grain powder and measure each a few times.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Only problem I ever had with Norma brass was the primer pockets seemed to be soft and after some three or so firings were very loose in fit with the primer. Lapua is hard to beat for durability and overall quality.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Loose primer pockets are a sign of an overload-this can easily happen with the thicker Norma brass even if you see no other signs of high pressure. Back off your loads and see if the primer pockets still loosen up after only 3-4 loadings!
Hip

Posts: 1891 | Location: Long Island, New York | Registered: 04 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Understand about the possible overload, but same loads in Lapua brass did not have the loose primer pocket issues therefore have continued using the Lapua brass for all my match loads. Loads were/are IMR4064, 308, 42.2grs-190's, 44.2grs-175's, 46.2grs-155's and are listed as "accuracy" loads per Sierra's manual. As to the initial question, can't say that I ever had any accuracy problems with the Norma and certainly do not with Lapua, and just stuck with what works for me. No doubt I could alter the load to eliminate the primer pocket issue I experienced with the Norma, but simpler to use what gives performance I am after. Your point is well taken though.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Everyone should go to this page and read the facts of plated brass by Varmit Al. The man has the sheepskins on the wall to know what he is talking about.http://www.varmintal.com/arelo.htm

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote