Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which turret press?
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about buying a turret press by either RCBS or Redding. I currently reload 7 different calibers for rifle and handgun on a RCBS JR and a similar small Pacific single stage press. I am tired of the lock nuts moving almost every time I remove the dies from the press to change them out. I feel that changing the turret and indexing the die of choice would be easier and less hassle. I have priced and read the reviews on both brands mentioned on Midways website. Some people don't care for the angle of the RCBS turret press. Most guys say the the Redding press is built very solid and indestructable. I would like to hear from someone who has used or has seen both in person. Will the Redding press accept my current RCBS shell holders? I know both presses mentioned will need 2 additional turret plates to accomedate all of my dies. This will run up the total price invested. What I want to know is whether it is wise to invest in a turret press and which one. Thank you in advance for any insight.

Posts: 3 | Location: Lino Lakes, MN | Registered: 28 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, the Redding press is indeed solid and indestructable. I've had a 6 station model 25 for many years, and it has served me well. In theory the top should remain less than rigid because the turret lines up on a ball bearing in the top.
The turret press because of its design doesn't produce reloads that are all that concentric. .007" is about average for mine. I still use it for hunting loads and for my old military mausers. I have an extra head so I don't have to change out the dies so often. It's a great set up, but you're paying for it in less than great accuracy. I now use Redding bushing, neck dies and Wilson knock out dies for the most part. It's slower, but the reloads are much more concentric. A lot depends on your type of shooting. If most of your shootihg is from the bench you're going to want something conductive to small groups, and that's not really turret presses. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have the Redding t-7 and really like it. Most of my rifles average an inch or less, so it serves my purpose for hunting rifles real well.

Posts: 23 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 03 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I got a rcbs turrent press a few weeks ago and IT has a lot of wobble in the head. I havent tried it yet to see what kind of reloads it will turn out. I hope first impressions of this press will not be proved.
Dave

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
A mate of mine who is an engineer with all the measuring kit compared the RCBS and the Redding T7, the RCBS movement was large, can't remember the numbers, and the Redding was minimal.

I've got a T7 and really rate it along with the sliding bar priming mechanism, shot a couple half inch groups yesterday with my G63 and handloads made on the T7 which is as good as it gets for me so I'm happy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Redding T-7 and am pleased with it. I only do neck sizing and bullet seating with it, reserving my "heavy" applications for an older O-frame press. But from the looks of the construction of the T-7, I would think it could handle the heavier tasks without a hiccup if called on. However, I strongly recommend keeping an O-frame on hand for tasks like reforming brass to a smaller caliber, etc.

Also, I considered the Lyman T-Mag II, and would have bought it had I not found the Redding on sale. The Lyman looks superior to the RCBS and is less expensive.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is my Redding T-7. If your after a strong turret press, this is the only one to consider. billt

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted Hide Post
Dillon, you cant go wrong.

People kill people, Not guns.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
T-7.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
sir; you asked about the turret press, i solved the problem of die changes with a bonanza co-ax press. dies slip in and out of press once die is adjusted it's permanent. also find it easier to load accurate ammo.

posted Hide Post
Have a lyman turret for over 10 years. Many reloads through it. My impression is it is a quality product and has never given me any reason to complain. I have seen Redding presses and would say Lyman lacks nothing in comparison to the Redding except maybe the additional expense.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I think a Lee turret will give straighter
cases, and plenty of strength and just change turrets by slipping them in and out, with dies set permanent it their own turret.Ed..Ed.

MZEE WA SIKU

Posts: 27742 | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote