Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.223 reloading
 Login/Join

posted
Got a question, I've got a remington 700 heavy barrel 20inch in .223. It will shoot 1/2 group all day with every weight except 55gr FMJ. I've tried mostly extruded powders and tried different OAL. Anyboby got any ideas? It will shoot 52,62,69 and 75 grains really wel.
SEMPER FI'

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
55gr FMJ

The problem is most likely the bullet.

Some FMJs are poorly made and not accurate in any gun. Give up on them and shoot something else.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As rolltop said, might be the bullet. I've got a couple of 222's that shoot Sierra FMJ's quite well. Milsurp FMJ's, on the other hand, aren't worth a shit in either rifle.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rick R
posted Hide Post
If memory serves MilSpec ammo is only expected to shoot around 4". I've had pretty good luck with Hornady's fmj bullet but it's still not "match"-worthy. IMHO

Posts: 1912 | Location: Charleston, WV, USA | Registered: 10 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
"it shoots everything good except fmj's" The rifle is trying to tell you something. you might want to listen.

posted Hide Post
Thanks thats what I thought I'd hear. I'll save the 55s' for the M4. SEMPER FI

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey 40willie, It does sound like rolltop nailed it. You could weigh a few and measure a few to the ogive to see how consistant they are.

Weighing is easy. Measuring to the ogive from the base can be done by using a "socket" from your toolbox. Slip on the largest one which will not go past the ogive and then measure the distance between the top of the socket and the base of the bullet.

The most consistent FMJs I've ever had are some new non-pulled FN-FAL 30cal bullets from Wideners. Haven't had them in 22cal, but the Rems and Wins I've had left a lot to be desired.

Welcome Aboard! Semper Fi

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Guns are almost human. It's always best to feed them what they like. Just like a child, feed them something they don't want and they will surely rebel!

Posts: 1610 | Location: Shelby, Ohio | Registered: 03 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesThe only FMJs that had reasonable performance were some that I bought from Mid South.The points were far more rounded than others.All other FMJs were no good.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
I've managed to get some pretty decent loads with 55 grain FMJs...enough to minute of sage rat at 250 to 300 yds...out of a bolt action...

I get some unbelievable groups out of a Ruger 22.250 using them behind a charge of 32.5 grains of H4895...that rifle just seems to love those bullets and that charge of that powder....

so work with it if you still want to shoot them based on economy...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If bullet is matched to the barrel twist, theoretically you will get the best grouping. A 1/9" twist is a pretty common and versatile twist in rifles chambered for the .223 rem. Still, you may find some bullets that don't do well in it or some that do quite well that really should not be the best. I have a 1/9" .223 rem that gets its best groups with a 64 gr, Berger FB it does well with almost every other bullet up to 73 gr. but for some reason will not shoot a decent 200 yard group with any 65 gr. match bullet I have tried.

When you get your ultimate accuracy load finalized it will probably be a bullet that is near the best weight (length) recommended for your twist. Knowing this can do away with a lot of wasted time working up loads and also save barrel wear that went to no good purpose. For example it would not be worthwhile to expect to work up a good load using a 64 gr. bullet in a 1/12 twist barrel or a 40 gr. bullet in a 1/7" barrel.

Ideally, you will only spin the bullet as fast as necessary to stabilize it and no more. Every spin of the bullet gives any defect in the bullet a chance to increase vibration of the barrel and the pitch and yaw as the bullet travels downrange. This translates into less uniformity and that means bigger groups.

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Rusty
posted Hide Post
Find out what twist barrel you have and go from there.

Rusty
We Band of Brothers!
DRSS, NRA & SCI Life Member

"I am rejoiced at my fate. Do not be uneasy about me, for I am with my friends."
----- David Crockett in his last letter (to his children), January 9th, 1836
"I will never forsake Texas and her cause. I am her son." ----- Jose Antonio Navarro, from Mexican Prison in 1841
"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man." Thomas Jefferson
Declaration of Arbroath April 6, 1320-“. . .It is not for glory, nor riches, nor honours that we are fighting, but for freedom - for that alone, which no honest man gives up but with life itself.”

Posts: 9797 | Location: Missouri City, Texas | Registered: 21 June 2000Reply With Quote