Find
Notify
Tools

.308 rim diameter tolerance?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi all,

Looking at the specifications, I see the rim diameter is .473", but when I measure my brass, it is .466". This is brass from Black Hills match ammo. I was wondering if there is a rule of thumb on rim diameter tolerance as gauged by benchrest shooters.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bob338
posted Hide Post
You don't mention caliber but it sounds like you're in the '06 family of cartridges. SAAMI specs indicate a maximum of .473" -.010", so you are within specs. Rim diameter has little to do with accuracy in the benchrest crowd, or elswhere. If the cases eject properly that part of the case should have little concern for anyone.

Posts: 1261 | Location: Placerville, CA, US of A | Registered: 07 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The caliber in question is .308 Win. The reason I was curious, is that there is a lot of concern among BR builders regarding bolt clearances. I'm assuming the reason for that is the alignment of the cartridge to the bolt face. This also relates to the centering of the firing pin. I guess they are depending soley on the chamber axis to bolt axis alignment to do the job.

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote