THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Did Hornady change their Jacket material?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted
sorry dup post

NRA Benefactor.

Life is tough... It's even tougher when you're stupid... John Wayne

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:
Several guys at the club I belong to have been complaining about copper fouling with recently purchased Hornady bullets.

I personally witnessed a friend fire only 2 shots through a 10.75 and the bore looked like it was spray painted gold.

Now with only 2 shots fired, you would think it wouldn't be that difficult to remove it. But according to him, it took 4 overnight applications of Wipe-out, a scrubbing with Sweets, and a couple treatments with Blue Wonder before it came clean.. from only 2 shots!

I have heard other make the same complaint, but this was the first one I actually saw with my own eyes..

I use Sierra and Noslers, and I haven't noticed anything unusual.

Anyone else noticing this?

NRA Benefactor.

Posts: 1964 | Location: The Three Lower Counties (Delaware USA) | Registered: 13 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I picked up a new supply of 150 gr 30 cal Hornady bullets last fall. I first noticed that the exposed lead tip was slightly different than the older batch of bullets I had. The new bullets shot to the same spot with the same loads. I did not experience any more fouling than I did with the old bullets. The rifle I was shooting has done a fair bit of shooting and has never had fouling issues.

Posts: 2438 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pa.Frank:

But according to him, it took 4 overnight applications of Wipe-out, a scrubbing with Sweets, and a couple treatments with Blue Wonder before it came clean.. from only 2 shots!

QUOTE]

that's hard to believe. I have bought rifles that have gone years without cleaning and it didn't take nearly that sort of effort to bring them up to shiny bright.
What kind of barrel did he have on the rifle?

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible that he has a rough bore on the rifle? I've a friend that has a .375 with a rough bore, and I have had a Winchester in .416 RM that had one as well. 20 rounds through the .416 and it took 4 full days of scrubbing and cleaning to get it bright again...........

Posts: 4214 | Location: Southern Colorado | Registered: 09 October 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my big bore barrels fouled the way you describe.However I seen one barrel that did not seem to foul at all.If I did not see this myself I would not believe it.The barrel was on an old Ruger 416 Rigby.That barrel never had a molly bullet through it so I don't know if molly had anything to do with it.From now on I will only use molly coated bullets in my 308.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
'course the answer would be easy to find. try a couple of other brands of bullets and see if you get the same results. If so, you have a barrel problem. If not, a call to hornady should bring an answer.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
'course the answer would be easy to find. try a couple of other brands of bullets and see if you get the same results. If so, you have a barrel problem. If not, a call to hornady should bring an answer.

+1 (Though I'd start with the phone call to Hornady.)

Posts: 939 | Location: Grants Pass, OR | Registered: 24 September 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pa.Frank
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is hard to believe. If I hadn't seen it with my own eyes, I would doubt it as well.

The owner is a retired military officer, a chemical engineer, an accomplished hunter, and not someone that "tells stories". He has been using Hornady bullets for years and swears by them.

He said he was going to write Hornady, I'll have to check with him and see if he ever did and let you guys know..

NRA Benefactor.

one of us
posted Hide Post
While we call jackets "copper" they may be alloys rather than pure.I wouldn't recommend pure copper
as it's so soft.
A "gilding metal"[5-10 % Zn ] makes more sense , harder less fouling but looks like copper .

one of us
posted Hide Post
All big bores foul up, they simply have more surface to foul, and they are harder to clean, but I think your friend has some other kind of problem or his idea of clean is overboard..

There is absolulty no need for a squeaky clean bore, that's just plumb annal, too aplications is plenty regardless of what it LOOKS like..Keep in mind that there never has been an animal or any kind killed with a clean bore!!! pissers ..

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 41999 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote