New
Find
Notify
Tools

Dillon 550 and 223
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm trying to set my Dillon 550B press up to load .223. I'm having a lot of problems. The powder measure is spilling powder causing low charge weights in the case. I talk to Dillon they told me to tighten the powder die till it was as close to the case a possible without crushing the case mouth and tighten the spring on the rod that closes the powder bar. It did not make much difference. I crushed the mouth on 5 out of 50 cases last night and I'm still spilling powder on about every 3rd case.

Anyone had problems like this before? This press worked great when I was loading .40 S&W. I only had problems when I switched to rifle cases.

It also seems that the shell holder is too loose. The brass flops around in the shell holder even if I tighten so much that the turret will barely turn.

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you using shellplate #3? Are you sure it's right-side up? Smiler

Keep talking to Dillon. They'll help you figure it out.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
What powder are you using? If stick powder, could you be having bridging problems?

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Clean the powder measure and make sure that it works smoothly ... most of the time powder scatter is caused by a lurching of the measure as it moves in delivering a charge.

Took me a while to figure this out on a 1050 ... and the same measures are used on the 550.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm using Win 748, so it should meter very well. The press does bounce a little bit when running cases through. Usually happens when the expander ball is coming out of the case. I dont know how to stop that. I could try lubing the inside of the case necks but I'm afraid I'll contaminate the powder. The measure drops powder soemtimes even if I dont have a case in the sizeing die.

Yes I'm using the right shell plate Smiler

Posts: 428 | Location: Bozeman, MT | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do not lube the inside of the case. I repeat DO NOT Lube the inside. This will surely cause the powder to gum up at the case mouth and you will definately spill powder. Are you using the correct insert in the powder die. If the insert is too large there will be gaps around the case mouth and that is where your spilling will come from. My .223 powder die INSERT has an "A" on it.

Mark

Posts: 116 | Location: Buckeye, AZ | Registered: 19 July 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
The press does bounce a little bit when running cases through. Usually happens when the expander ball is coming out of the case. I dont know how to stop that

That can cause the measure to jerk as mstarling pointed out. I would take the expander out of the die, chuck it in a drill and polish it. I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube applied w/Q tip on inside necks to help smooth things up.

Regards,
hm

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
That can cause the measure to jerk as mstarling pointed out. I would take the expander out of the die, chuck it in a drill and polish it. I use Imperial Dry Neck Lube applied w/Q tip on inside necks to help smooth things up.

When loading .223 there is no expander. It is a funnel insert that fits inside the powder die. Make sure the mouth of the case fits the opening of the funnel, not snug, but not too big either. It has to be the right one.

One of Us
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
What ?. Ditto ; Markhpb !. The funnel prevents spills unless the powder measure is throwing the wrong charge an overcharge would spill as will an under charge .

Keep an Eye on the lever which activates the powder anvil measure when pulling a stroke .
Be sure it's not over or under traveling by adjusting the Rod which attaches to the machine under the shell plate holder . It protrudes like a trough off the front left hand side .

Improper adjustment ( theres a spring and a thumb nut on the bottom and a bent hook and clip on the powder ram side ) can cause problems with function of the powder measure throwing correctly . To much tension it will Over travel and Jamb the powder anvil , to little it will half ass activate the anvil which causes under shots of powder .
Also make sure it's free ( the rod ) from binding while stroking the handle .

Remove the powder and dry run it a few times to ensure it's properly set up and free of binding .
Long winded explanation hope it helps !.

If you still can't figure it out either PM me or post and I'll post a picture of my set up .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
When loading .223 there is no expander.

The expander ball is in the resizing die on rifle dies, not the powder die as on pistol calibers.

Smooth operation is important on the Dillon as
any bounce of the press (as when the expander ball is pulled out of the case neck) will cause not only inacurate powder charges to be thrown, but can cause enough jerking of powder bar to spill powder.

I generally lubricate the powder funnel and powder bar with the same dry lube as used on inside of case necks. All of this aids in smooth operation and more accurate measure operation.

Regards,
hm

one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Seems simplistic, but you are using a 22 powder die aren't you. Is it truly for a 22?

Don't limit your challenges . . .
Challenge your limits

Posts: 4255 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Tc is correct, you must have the proper powder funnel for 223/222. I think its a #8 but dont quote me.

Put a shell in stage 2, with no powder in the powder reservoir. Pull the press handle and keep adjusting the die down until the powder slide opens all the way with no binding. Adjust the powder plate that determines how much powder drops almost all the way in, and back it out until it is throwing the exact amount of powder desired. Mine was a little tricky to set up also, but it is very doable.

Go here and see page 11.
http://www.dillonprecision.com/docs/dillon_rl_550b_manual_may_2007.pdf

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It sounds to me like the slide on the powder measure is binding, or the powder funnel is sticking in the powder die. Either can cause erratic operation and dropped/spilled powder. Are the springs on the powder measre slide in place? The rod that comes down from the measure to the ram is a safety, and should not pull the slide back. If it does, something is wrong elsewhere.

John

Posts: 89 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 15 July 2003Reply With Quote