New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Powder Dispensers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone here have any experience with the new high speed electronic powder dispensers? I load some cartridges that take over 100 grains of powder. With the older models that I am familar with you have time to go get a take-out pizza while waiting for the thing to run its course.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used virtually all makes and modles and have setteled on the Lyman 1200. I have been using one for over 2 years and have only minor complaints. I sold my upgraded PACT in the classified. After a side by side test I preferred the Lyman.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had to resort to an electronic scale yet, but probably will ultimately. I've had a Redding beam scale for years now, and it still works well. A few years ago I picked up an RCBS beam scale cheap at a gun show. I simply weigh my first charge on "both" scales. So long as they are in agreement there's no problem. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Cal Sibley:
I haven't had to resort to an electronic scale yet, but probably will ultimately. I've had a Redding beam scale for years now, and it still works well. A few years ago I picked up an RCBS beam scale cheap at a gun show. I simply weigh my first charge on "both" scales. So long as they are in agreement there's no problem. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal
When you finally find the 21 st. Century,and the land of electronics, you might not want to go back. My electric scale are far more accurate and predictable and easy than any balance beam could ever be. But to each his own.

square shooter

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used them all from good to bad to ugly, as I am sure many on AR have. Shooting around 3000 rounds of centerfire each year, I depend on two Lyman Autoscales, an old RCBS beam scale and a new Lyman 1200 that even Momma better not mess with. shame Good loading and shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I use PACT's Dispenser/Scale combo and I'm impressed with the precision of the trickling. Once in a while it would go over 0.1 gr, or will trow 0.1 gr less than punched in number.

The only disadvantage is, it doesn't have any ROM, in other words if you turn it off it loses calibration for the powder, so next time you have to re-calibrate for the powder again. But it takes only 2-3 minutes.

My 3 cents

oldflint

Posts: 12 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the new Pact as well, I've justified the lack of memory by telling myself that having to calibrate the scale every time makes it a default safety as you can't load the wrong powder and punch in a previous load. Like Oldflint said, it only takes a couple of minutes to do, so no big deal. I just threw a couple of 100 grain loads using H4831-SC and they take about 12 to 14 seconds (wristwatch)each to dispense, so there you go.

Good luck--Don

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was a early owner of the RCBS Scale/Dispensor unit, it worked very well, just too slow. Sold it, bought the Pact, which then made the RCBS, just a different color. It was much-much faster. Used that for a yr or so, then bit the big one, and bought the new Chinese made RCBS CHARGEMASTER..... talk about fast, & accurate. Best part, no calibrating the dispensor, just dump in powder, be sure scale is calibrated, which is a easy 2 step process, enter powder charge desired, push Enter, then dispense. This unit for me is very satisfactory. I would never go back to the mechanical scale, but that is a decision for each to make.

Posts: 70 | Location: Sw of Dodge City | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
SwKs
How long would it take the new RCBS unit to trow the above 100gr load.

one of us
posted Hide Post
The new Pact high speed can be had from Cabelas or Midway for less then 120 bucks. I just ordered one from Midway as I already have the Pact scale. From what I hear it's great for corse powder that don't flow through the measures that well. Don't use ball or flake type powder in it is what I was told.

Jules

Posts: 1902 | Location: Va. Beach,Va. | Registered: 10 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
side by side testing of the three newest auto scales revealed:
PACT high speed slightly faster than the Lyman 1200. The fastest is the RCBS but it has issues with fine grain spherical powder. Overall I chose to keep the Lyman. It seems to fluctuate less than the other two. There is the warm up time to consider with the Lyman, however, I use a set of RCBS check weights after each 10 rounds and the variance is the least with Lyman.

square shooter