New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm Weatherby Load Data
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I am in the market for a new rifle and am considering this cartridge. Was hoping to hear what kind of bullet and powder combinations you're gusing and speeds your getting from a 26 inch barrels. I'm mainly looking for a go to bullet powder combination for deer, elk, antelope, bear, etc. I'm partial to 175 grain Partitions but would like to hear about Accubonds and LR Accubonds. Thanks in advance!

Posts: 402 | Location: Colorado Springs, Colorado  | Registered: 15 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
I have a 7mm Wea mag and just love it. My 2 favorite loads are 145gr barnes LRX over 74 grs of MRP. Rem 91/2 M in a Weatherby case. Oal 3.370. Under moa accuracy with a vel of 3327 ft/sec
Also the 175 gr Hornady Interlock over 72 grs of MRP Wea case and a Rem 91/2 M primer oal 3.335. The accuracy is MOA and vel of 3157 ft/sec.
Other good powders I've tried are Rl-22 and 25, and 26 along with Ram Magnum and Norma 217. All these do a good job with 140 to 175 grs bullets, but in mine Norma MRP gets the nod
These are max loads in my rifle. Reduce and work up for yous if you try them.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Canadian reloarder
posted Hide Post
Also remember that you are dealing with a 1/10 twist unless it is a custom. The longer bullets will not stabalize with this. 168 Barnx LRX, 175 LR accubond etc.

"300 Win mag loaded with a 250 gr Barnes made a good deer load". Elmer Keith

Posts: 172 | Location: Canada | Registered: 06 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load 160 Grain Failsafe bullets in front of 70 Grains of RL-22 and a Fed 215M primer. It does 3000 plus fps and is a real Elk getter. I don't own the rifle but I load for an Elk hunting buddy and he has taken several Bulls over the years, one at 525 yards. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 7mm Wby that would group 140 gr TTSX bullets into 3/4 in groups all day long. Moving to 160 gr bullets and the groups were close to 3 inches. Someone seen how it grouped the 140 gr and had to have it. That was one rifle, others may shoot heavy bullets better. If I was intending to shoot heavy 7mm bullets I would be looking for a 1in 9 or 1 in 9 1/4 twist.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 on the need for the faster twist rate. i have a 7mm Rem Mag Sako that I am converting to 7mm Weatherby. The present barrel isn't so accurate; it is a lightweight profile from 1987. The new barrel will be a #3 profile from one of the cut rifle manufacturers. I will only go up to 160-grain bullets.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote